Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 139

Two-bit, Aiden, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"Fine Car 'A'" Torsion Level
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
In the advertisements they compared the suspension between the 1954 model, the 1955 model, and "Fine Car 'A'".

Any clue as to what make/model they may have picked for the latter?

Posted on: Today 18:00
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: "Fine Car 'A'" Torsion Level
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a movie made demonstrating the TL operation which consisted of 3 covered cars passing over a somewhat notorious railroad crossing in Detroit. That movie was shown at the PAC meet in Berkeley back in the 80s and I believe most of it is on the Allison DVD sold by Motor City Packards. Excerpts may be seen in Packard commercials on YouTube but I have not found the particular move in its entirety so it may be the property of the Allison estate.

One car they tested crossing the tracks was obviously a Cadillac because you could see a distinct rounded impression of the tail fins under the cloth and I am thinking the other was a Lincoln because there was no fins or any sign of the vertical up in the air tail lights Imperial used in 55-6. There was a hint of the Mercury/Lincoln rear styling showing though.

I don't know which advertisement you are referring to but since those 3 cars were the major players in the market demographics where Packard was trying to reestablish themselves, if there is no sign of protruding fins or tail lights visible thru the cloth I would almost bet Fine Car A is a Lincoln.

If you get a chance to see the movie or get the DVD be prepared to chuckle. One of the fine cars came down so hard sparks were flying as it bottomed out on the pavement. I cant remember if that was the car that lost a hubcap which went flying away but it or the other car came down so hard the driver almost lost control. I think the movie said there was some suspension damage too. The Packard sailed thru with an almost level body but it was funny watching the wheels going crazy as they rolled over the rough spots.

There is also a Packard video on YouTube showing the suspension and suspension roll FIne Car A experiences which the ad may be referring to. That section starts at about the 3:50 mark.https://youtu.be/8Sz0RZUySk0?si=mYzYGf97WZpbnbCU The sad thing is the 54 Packard is no better. In the Allison DVD after testing the TL they drove an engineers new 54 over the same tracks and even though they slowed car speed way down to not damage the car it was still pitching like the Fine Car A must have been doing.

Posted on: Today 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I’d be surprised if Cadillac wasn’t the target

Posted on: Today 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
There was a movie made demonstrating the TL operation which consisted of 3 covered cars passing over a somewhat notorious railroad crossing in Detroit. That movie was shown at the PAC meet in Berkeley back in the 80s and I believe most of it is on the Allison DVD sold by Motor City Packards. Excerpts may be seen in Packard commercials on YouTube but I have not found the particular move in its entirety so it may be the property of the Allison estate.

As I was on both the PAC board and the NorCal chapter’s board and NorCal hosted the event, I was there and well-remember the video! In fact, I tried to get a copy of it but the presenters were adamant about not sharing it other than the viewing but it was a great demonstration. I too remember the third car being a Lincoln although admittedly I don’t recall the cars being covered so I could be misremembering the make too.

Posted on: Today 19:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved