Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fan belt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Can anybody tell me the fan belt dimension for 1956 Clipper Deluxe without any beltdriven options?
Thanks.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/9/18 3:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan belt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Can't tell you off hand but I can tell you they are available at NAPA.My friend needed one for his 56 Caribbean.Told him what we wanted ie: fan belt for 56 Packard.He went on the computer and asked "what model? Patrician, 400, Caribbean, Clipper.We said PS belt 56 Caribbean.He walked into the back room and came out with the right belt.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 5:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for your answer, but alas, we don`t have any NAPAS here in Norway ( I wish we had). Most Norwegians haven`t even heard about Packards.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/9/18 6:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have a spare in the trunk of the car. I'll try sometime today or tomorrow to go out and measure the outer circumference which should get you close to a proper size.

UPDATE: Outer circumference about 57-1/2 inches.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 8:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If Dayco brand isn't available through your local sources, perhaps they have an interchange for their v-belt numbers, as provided in the engine section of this site's parts cross reference:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/parts/index.php?cat=20&catname=ENGINE

The belt that drives fan and generator is the same for all 55-56 models - EXCEPT when the car is equipped with factory air conditioning.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The belt that drives fan and generator is the same for all 55-56 models - EXCEPT when the car is equipped with factory air conditioning.

And that is something I do not quite understand. The AC crank pulley bolts on in place of PS pulley so the fan has the same rear groove on vibration damper section driving it as non AC cars. The fan does change but the pulley remains the same as does the generator and it's pulley. All I can think of is maybe the AC spec'd belt is different because of fan load but how since the width and length can't change.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thank you all for your help. I now have the data neccecary obtaining the correct belt. Sadly enough the nearly indestructible Dayco Raw Edge belts are not obtainable in Norway any more.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/9/18 13:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Try Gates belt#7570 or Dayco#15565

Posted on: 2012/9/18 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
The Clipper is now running with a Gates #7570 (11A1435) fan belt.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/9/19 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The AC crank pulley bolts on in place of PS pulley so the fan has the same rear groove on vibration damper section driving it as non AC cars. The fan does change but the pulley remains the same as does the generator and it's pulley. All I can think of is maybe the AC spec'd belt is different because of fan load but how since the width and length can't change.

Perhaps a slightly thicker (wider) belt, then, to handle the addtioonal load of the heavier fan.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 8:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved