Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 149

DavidM, Vaughan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Kent Moore vibration damper remover & replacer tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Here is mine,on the red towel,
and then the one sold on e-bay

mine has the corner braces cut. Should I try to add them back? How would you do that?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Kent-Moore-Vibration-Damper-Remover-Replacer-Tool-1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/LR8AAMXQI5tRgW0E/$(KGrHqJ,!lQFF8gV05qbBRgW0EJGFQ~~60_57.JPG

Attach file:

jpg  (110.72 KB)
1220_518c408114e0b.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (69.03 KB)
1220_518c409408de3.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (76.34 KB)
1220_518c40a605e00.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (111.57 KB)
1220_518c41879b669.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (46.80 KB)
1220_518c42b7c6ccb.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/5/9 19:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Kent Moore vibration damper remover & replacer tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm a bit confused. Which puller is the correct Kent-Moore tool and what is the other tool that is not the correct Kent-more tool????

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I can help you with this if you want to add them back.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 21:22
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Here is mine,on the red towel,
and then the one sold on e-bay

mine has the corner braces cut. Should I try to add them back? How would you do that?

If your tool is a steel forging I'd think a welding shop could cut triangles and attach them. Maybe they could heat and straighten the bends and then weld in one or two reinforcements. Looking at the 55 SM It looks as if there is a small space available for a reinforcement before it would hit the outer diameter. Maybe you could slide it on and get a rough measurement of how big it could be. Perhaps two on each side at the very outside edges. If the tool is cast then I have no suggestions.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
They are both the same Kent Moore tool as shown in the service manual. What I did not know was that the triangle bracing on mine was ground out, until I saw the one on E-bay. See figure 16 of the engine section of the 55-56 service manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect09_Engine.pdf

HH
I think that the tool is cast, what problems does that pose?

I also notice that I am missing what looks like a sleeve, or J-5992-4 in figure 21 of the engine section, page 13. It is on the E-Bay tool.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 21:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like someone ground off those braces to use on a large diameter damper.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 11:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
HH I think that the tool is cast, what problems does that pose?

I'm not sure it does cause a problem. It just seemed to me the photos appear to indicate that there is a crack on the curve. Am about the last to know anything about metallurgy but have always been under the impression that once cracked it's kind of hit or miss on how successful a repair would be on a casting. On a forging or solid bent steel I would think it could have a bead welded across but not sure on a casting.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 11:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cast iron's virtue as a structural material is when it's under compression, it's an extremely poor choice (far to brittle) for anything that would be under tensile force such as this tool. I suggest it's probably cast steel if not a forging.

But I am curious, is it really needed for remove the front V8 damper? I removed mine with a simple common 3-jaw puller and only minimal force was needed. Maybe I was just the lucky beneficiary of the stackup of tolerances. When I reinstalled it I just packed the crank snout with dry ice for few minutes and it slipped right on and after the temperature equilibrated it was snug.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD, how do I tell the difference between casting and forging? I don't disagree with your description of removal, or need for this tool. After seeing it on E-bay, I remembered I had one! Seeing how much it went for was another eye-opener.

HH, I will check it tonight, but I don't think it is cracked, but thoses are the grinding marks left from taking out the bracing. It does look like the jaws, have been spread apart, due to someone using it on a larger diameter damper.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fit puller to damper as usual. Use a large hose clamp around the outer diamter of the damper and the jaws.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved