Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

humanpotatohybrid, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Last advice when a car is shipping / selling
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
What is the protocol for advising a new owner or a car carrier if any for the handling of a 55 torsion level ultramatic equipped car? Are we to assume all transporters are aware and new owners are educated? Does a car get strapped by the tires nowdays or are they strappind the bodt and wratcheting on the chassis which would put the torsion inder stress? What and what position for the gear shift select handle during freight?
Happy Easter and thanks to all.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 5:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Last advice when a car is shipping / selling
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I know originally they talked about disconnecting the battery when they hauled them. I would not see any problem putting the transmission in Park and setting the parking brake once the car is 8in position on the trailer or rollback.
John

Posted on: 2016/3/27 6:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The transporter I use is a major name in the business, he moves many high end cars from NJ to the likes of Amelia Island and Pebble, for example. For the '56 we shut off the T/L and also disconnect the battery, transmission in neutral, parking brake on, and he straps to the axle tubes in the rear and lower A-frame in front. Don't cross tie the straps! Even on a short move he will recheck the straps after a couple of hundred miles.

The suspension damage that happened to the Request on a recent move should be enough to remind us that that we should never assume a carrier is familiar with Packard's T/L system or that the T/L should be kept active during a move.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks Dave. Thats what I thought. In neutral , p brake set , batt disc. And you were right - tp did not seem to add interest/value. Someone is getting a great car way under the value. I guess it is no member here winning the bid? I will direct them here if they are restoring back to stock and give them pix etc. or poss it will be customized-who knows.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I am not aware of the Predictor incident. Did i miss the thread? What happened? Has anyone else had damage when transporting to an auction or other venue?

Posted on: 2016/3/27 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And one other suggestion on a 55 might be to caution about any kind of pick up or material under the car in the area of the compensator or switch. Maybe even a sign or something to avoid the area.

There was a poster who recently had a car shipped overseas. I don't know if they use some kind of lift but somehow during the trip something was placed under the car and managed to severely bend the solenoid and limit switch bracket to the point wiring was damaged and buss bars shorted. This damage wasn't found until the system was turned on.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I am not aware of the Predictor incident

Request, not Predictor. And no, you didn't miss a thread, it wasn't widely reported or known about - just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen moving cars back and forth.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 9:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved