Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator Tank Dents
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Anyone else had to deal with a number of upper radiator tank dents? At least the PO was honest when he pointed to the cracking bondo on the upper radiator tank and explained that he had filled several dents with it. I'm sure the dents came from mechanics leaning over to reach the back of that long straight 8 and more than likely their belt buckles hit it just right. Anyway, I removed the bondo last night and need to get the dents out...don't know any other way than to take the radiator to a shop and have the tanks removed from the core and so I can straighten them and then have them soldered back on...guess I could always fill them with epoxy or try to find another radiator but what are the chances of finding one without tank dents?

Posted on: 2011/11/9 6:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator Tank Dents
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I wouldn't worry about it unless u're building for show. Probably just asking for future radiator troubles if disassembly is involved or drilling holes for dent pullers etc. I'd leave it alone.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 10:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No one should ever even think about drilling holes in the tank for a dent remover, but there is no more risk in removing the top tank to press out the dents from the inside than there would be in having a recore job and with a competent radiator man, that's nil.

If you want the look, that's the way to go. The constant cycles of heat/cool pretty much eliminate any option with body fillers, etc.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd agree with PV8 if no problems and car is not for show. On the other hand, unless you know the radiators condition or it had been done previously, it might be nice to remove the tanks to be straightened and have the radiator checked & cleaned at the same time. Who knows what surprises might await.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it unless u're building for show. Probably just asking for future radiator troubles if disassembly is involved or drilling holes for dent pullers etc. I'd leave it alone.

I agree, but I would take it to a reputable radiator shop and get their opinion, keeping in mind what you read here. These brass radiators are of a quality not found in today's throw away parts world.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 11:02
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Hi,

As PackardV8 says, the dents are really a cosmetic issue; however, old radiators can look fine from the outside, but when the top is removed one often finds the tubes blocked with years worth of scale and residual buildup.

Take it to a good radiator shop. They can remove the tanks, dip it and/or rod it to clear the tubes; and, while they are doing so, you can remove the dents (If you've got the hammer skills, that is.). Once you're done, they'll resolder the top and bottom back on. If you don't have the hammer skills, look around, there's probably at least one metal worker somewhere in your area that has the skills to remove the dents.

I'll be doing it on my own car; but only because I've got sort of an OC personality.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 11:21
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:
I'll be doing it on my own car; but only because I've got sort of an OC personality.

LOL! that's me to a point! some things I can overlook but dents I can't! There's something about the ones that can't be accessed from the back side that drive me up a wall and covering them up gives me nightmares! Anyway, the car will be entered into a few local shows so I don't really want a really nice engine compartment to be spoiled by some really obvious radiator tank dents. Out of concern that talking too much may be mistaken for boasting, I don't usually go into too much detail about what my capabilities are but prior to pursuing a career in utilities, I was co-owner of a paint and body shop and my trade was Automotive Machinist. I continue to participate in both at a hobby level so I'm not intimidated by the dents as much as I am the method of getting to them and therefore know my limits. I called a couple of radiator shops that I'm familiar with and both were willing to R&R the tanks for dent removal. One was expressing concern for the condition of the core and I explained that at 60 years old, its probably in better condition than anything he's worked on in the last 10 years. I think I will try to locate a spare "dent free" radiator to purchase as a backup though...originals will continue to go up in value and get harder to find as time passes.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 12:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved