Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 99

39Rollson, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Prewar AC info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone know of or might have a special parts list section for the prewar AC cars. One of the service counselors has mechanics referring to a Weather Conditioning Parts list when ordering engine parts. It doesn't seem to be in the regular manual and I didn't see it in the counselors.

I want to add my prewar compressor bracket to the 47 356 engine and know it will take longer head studs. Would like to get an idea of what length was used originally. Longest listed in regular parts list seems a bit short since one nut location is at least 3/4" higher than the head surface.

Would be nice to come up with a way to mount the bracket so those two head bolts can stay torqued should the need arise to remove the bracket. Any one done this or have suggestions.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.59 KB)
209_517c4360a3db2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/27 16:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Prewar AC info
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, I skimmed through the known sources but without success. No parts list but at least scents to potential knowledge sources:

- scent 1: Jim Hollingsworth owned a '41 Clipper with original A/C and his book contains a section that revolves around

- scent 2: see below

Attach file:

jpg  (29.59 KB)
757_517c69d5c9e92.jpg 500X349 px

Posted on: 2013/4/27 19:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the bracket can be mounted 1" higher than oem design then maybe use COUPLER nuts on the studs. Place bracket ontop of coupler nuts and install bolts thru bracket threading into upper end of coupler nut.

Note that oem probably specs for a hardened steel washer between nut and head. Since the bracket bolt is screwed into the coupler nut that will lock it so the washer can be deleted I'd rather use the washer but if necessary for hood clearence etc then leave it off.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 20:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks to ptv for posting the Craigslist link to a prewar AC Clipper.

Even without the compressor in place one of my long standing questions on oil filter placement when the compressor took over the normal location may have been answered --- but it brings up two more.

Unfortunately no one has managed to get a photo of the known AC Clipper engine in Texas but this one may answer the question. The filter looks like the others and maybe is where Packard placed it. Does the bracket to the head look stock or maybe this was not Packard. Possibly the volume was so low they may have just fabricated something rather than stamping a piece??

Second question is something I didn't see answered in the parts book. With the oil filter located apparently to the rear, does anyone know if the Electromatic Clutch was available on prewar Clippers with AC. I would think both items would have been desirable options on the high end cars particularly since EC was new for 41. It looks like maybe it was one or the other if that is where the filters were placed.

An incidental note is the height of the oil fill pipe and cap. Packard revised that one a couple of times for better crankcase ventilation when the oil filter was in the front but the AC tube looks even taller -- maybe to clear the compressor.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.50 KB)
209_59b86e68b9fa3.jpg 1558X762 px

jpg  (203.05 KB)
209_59b86e7989645.jpg 1920X904 px

jpg  (40.28 KB)
209_59b86e862341c.jpg 600X381 px

Posted on: 2017/9/12 18:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It looks like it's mounted in the same fashion that the Cadillac compressor was mounted.

Attach file:

jpg  (260.09 KB)
404_59b924c187806.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (268.51 KB)
404_59b924ea41e43.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/9/13 7:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does appear to be in the same place as the Clipper and maybe the same compressor. The V8 engine makes a bit of difference sideways but that is relatively unimportant.

I never realized the compressor was so tall and wonder if that could be why Packard moved the compressor from the right on conventional; bodies to the left side of engine on Clippers. Perhaps the Clipper hood is enough lower that the compressor needed to tuck down in the area where the oil filter used to be. Moving the oil filter on 356 engines would be needed but the question still remains if the EC was available on AC equipped cars. With the filter relocated it doesn't look to me like there would be enough space to mount the EC control valve. Don't know if the horizontal type air cleaner was used much prewar but that also looks like it would have been a no go with the relocated oil filter.

Posted on: 2017/9/13 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved