Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

This ad would've made all the difference --
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The below was posted amongst the Recent Photos sidebar of this very site. We've read so many times over the years how the junior cars bled the Packard name white, despite BMW and Mercedes today having no trouble selling Taurus/Camry-competing 3-Series and C-Class cars.

And, if we've learnt anything from Rolls-Royce, which various esteemed British motoring journalists have themselves dismissed as "....a great confidence trick" and "a triumph of craftsmanship over engineering," upscale advertising is everything.

Perception is everything.

After all, from 1935-on, when most of R-R's business was aero engines, automobiles more of a boutique sideline, all Rolls-Royce/Bentleys, other than the handful of troublesome Phantom III V-12s, trace their engine to the original junior "Small Horsepower" 20 of 1922, itself based on the current Buick Six, only in the words of one English motoring writer, "....not so good."

And, of course, after the war, R-R and their Bentley clones were largely assembled cars, with bodies by Pressed Steel, who whacked out bodies for half the UK motor industry, even lowly Austin, just as Briggs supplied Packard, Chrysler, Ford.
R-R/Bentley increasingly used GM components; HydraMatic, Delco ignition parts, etc.

With that in mind, look at this smart ad for the lowly 1938 Packard Six. My meager computer abilities prevent my attaching the ad you see to the right of this forum here. Perhaps one of you tech-savvy souls might manage that.

If only domestic ads for this car had been as crisp, upscale, Packard might've danced along as Packard, not the also-ran they became from 1948-on:

1938 PACKARD-ENGLAND ADVERT-B&W
423reed 2012/5/8 16:32 Tell a friend
18 0 0.00 (0 votes)Rate it
Advertisement courtesy of Old School Paul and FLICKR.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:32
 Top  Print   

Re: This ad would've made all the difference --
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It is well-written and I like it.
I wonder why the Packard crest is upside down?

Posted on: 2012/5/9 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
A Packard Six Limo, no less - Complete with divider and jump seat(s).

Posted on: 2012/5/9 16:32
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
su8overdrive wrote:...My meager computer abilities prevent my attaching the ad you see to the right of this forum here. Perhaps one of you tech-savvy souls might manage that...
Not tech savvy, but will give it a go with my meager computer skills.

Quote:
randy berger wrote:...I wonder why the Packard crest is upside down?
If it had been an Aussie Packard ad I could understand it!

NOTE - Click on the pic for a larger image.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.26 KB)
226_4faaf4193c40a.jpg 1124X831 px

Posted on: 2012/5/9 17:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, Oz, Wizard Emeritus.

Meanwhile, the divider window is certainly a curio, but the big picture is why oh why couldn't Packard in the US have so smoothly, adroitly, upmarketed the juniors as the above English ad, instead of the clumsy downhome hokum most of the junior ads were, increasingly so 1938-on?

The English learned long ago that Main Street do not want to view themselves as Mainstreet.

Of course, everything today is "upscale." When have you ever seen anything advertised as downscale? Yet Packard managed to do just that in their 1938-on domestic junior ads.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 19:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved