Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Charles, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1921 PackardSingle Six
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
I have a 1921 Packard Single Six, serial number U2649, engine number 26576. The numbers indicate that the car is from 1921 and should be a 116 Model. However, the wheelbase is 126", indicating that it is a 126 Model. I am puzzled by this and am looking for the answer from any Packard expert who can help. The car is right hand drive and was new to an Australian buyer, supposedly in 1921. I now have the car in the UK and would appreciate any answers to this puzzle over the wheelbase and Model.
Thanks
Richard

Posted on: 2013/11/7 13:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1921 PackardSingle Six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Richard Sturdy,
to PackardInfo.

Although I don't have the answer to your question maybe someone(DavidM?) here will?

However I invite you to include your '21 Single Six in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/11/7 14:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Richard,

The engine number 26576 corresponds to a First Series (1922-3) car and the serial number U2649 would also fit that engine number if it had one more digit say U26490. Those two numbers are usually within a few hundred of each. I assume the Serial number is stamped on a plate on the firewall behind the dash. Maybe its not the original plate or it was incorrectly stamped.
What is the body style, the 116 bodies are very different to the 126 cars if you post a photo we might recognise the car and be able to give you more information.
Did you purchase it from Australia recently?

Posted on: 2013/11/7 16:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
Sorry Guys, but I put the incomplete serial number in my post. It is actually U26499AR and is stamped on a plate attached to the firewall under the dash. I am certain that the firewall and plate are original. The body is an open tourer. I understand that the car was new to Australia and was repatriated to the USA by a Packard collector on the death of the original Australian owner. It was fully rebuilt and restored from top to bottom in the USA and I understand that it was sold by auction when the collection was dispersed. It was bought at the auction for a UK collector, who sold it to me shortly afterwards, as he was getting divorced and needed the money to settle with his former wife. I have tried to attach a picture, but not sure I have succeeded.
Richard

Attach file:

jpg  (133.68 KB)
25783_527cb3c3eadda.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/8 4:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
And another.

Attach file:

jpg  (161.81 KB)
25783_527cb4b5d18b4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/8 4:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Richard,
Definitely not a 116, its a First Series 126 tourer, these were manufactured between 1922 and 1923. Most of the RHD 126/133 Australian delivered cars have those nice Rudge Whitworth wire wheels and yet they are rarely seen on the US LHD cars. Why this is so I do not know. Unlike a lot of less expensive US cars these cars were manufactured as RHD in US and exported to Australia as complete cars.
Looks like a nice example.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 5:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1922 126 Single Six Touring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Richard,
for including your 1921 Single Six Touring in the Registry.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 14:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Richard,
I have just been reminded that a good photo of your car appears on page 22 of an Australian book: "The Second James Flood Book of Early Motoring".
The caption under the photo states :
Packard First Series Six Tourer owned by Peter Evans , Largs Bay SA.
The book was published around 1980.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Wow Richard ...

That is one beautiful car. I think it may have more mileage on it in international shipping than what it has on the odometer!

Posted on: 2013/11/8 16:56
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
Thanks very much for the information Guys. One other question - if it is a First Series single six, will it have the original 241 cu in engine, or enlarged engine? It is a beautiful car to drive and feel really lucky to own it.
Regards
Richard

Posted on: 2013/11/11 5:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved