Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Non Packard--forgive me
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I am sure the disc is just stuck. Some are prone to that. PackardV8's plan is quite good.

If all else fails, get the car up on jack stands and remove the cover under the clutch--can't recall if Caddies have one or if the bell housing is a full circle. Have someone hold down the clutch pedal and wedge a putty knife between the clutch and flywheel and between the clutch and pressure plate. That should break it free. Take the car for a long drive and be sure to get the clutch good and hot to drive off any moisture which is the root cause of this evil.

Packard0, you need to go online or to a flea market and buy an old 1950's Motor Manual or similar if you are going to mess with these old cars. They are crammed with information, and often it is easier to find the information in them than in the factory manuals as it is condensed and tabulated year by year. They also include some very useful exploded views identifying parts. Fabulous education for 20 smackers or so.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I will have him try the high gear start thing although, we couldn't get it in high gear at all yesterday. It would only go into 1 st or reverse and that was with the engine "not" running.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...we couldn't get it in high gear at all yesterday...

But it should go as long as the talk revolves around a defect clutch. Engage a gear and shove the car back and forth just a few inches to re-align the pair of gear wheels and try again to get it in high gear.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 7:36
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
forgot to ask why we need to remove the ignition coil wire?

Posted on: 2013/8/10 11:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard0 wrote:
forgot to ask why we need to remove the ignition coil wire?

You will have it in gear while trying to unstick the clutch so that is a safety measure. Disconnecting the coil wire will ensure there is no chance the car will suddenly start and run into something.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 13:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A better way is to tow the car rather than starter engagement. I used the starter engagement many times over the years with no ill effects. However note that the starter engagement method does put alot of load on the starter
Give it 2 or 3 tries but i would not continue on for any more than maybe four tries for onmly 5 to10 seconds ata time.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 14:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
It worked, I got in and put it in high gear and tried to start it. It lurched just a little then fired right up. Went in all gears fine but I didn't have the time to drive it right then. I'm going to go do that in about 30 minutes.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Congrats!

Posted on: 2013/8/10 15:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Actually after thinking about I put it in 2nd gear but it still worked.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
He drove it around a little while no problems and drove fine. When he parked it I put a strong cardboard tube between the clutch and seat to completely hold the clutch to the floor. Is that OK and what you guys meant to do? I was thinking if we just drove the thing every other day that might be just as good?

Posted on: 2013/8/10 16:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved