Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
273 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 273

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: housing bore for main bearings on 7th series 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
34PackardRoadsta wrote:.......The current problem is that with the bearing caps only partially tightened down the crank will not spin. We have not tightened them all the way, but that will presumably make matters no better.......Tom
Tom,

Think you'll find that when the crank is tightened to spec that it will turn. With the caps partially tightened everything is "slightly" out of line and fully tightening the caps brings everything back into proper alignment. Wade found this out when doing his '37 Super 8, and I know it's not a babbit bearing engine like your '34. It's amazing that tightening everything up actually frees up the crankshaft so it can turn, not spin mind you.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 15:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Tread Cautously! Since the caps wer not tightened down i am very suspicous that the line boring was not completed.
It strikes me as odd that a shop would line bore WITH A CRANK PRESENT and not go ahead and button it up by torquing the caps THUS COMPLETING the operation which is usual, customary and EXPECTED .

Follow Owens advice on the measureing with micrometers FIRST.

U need to find someone that knows what they are doing with fitting cranks and bearings. Not someone that has read Hot ROd magazine or took some Auto Certification course at a local tech college. Based on what u've listed thus far i can only wish u GOODLUCK and prayers!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/12 16:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Thanks all. We are going to do the measuring, etc. tomorrow. I will hopefully be back with good news.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 16:57
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NOTE that ONE of the bearings in the block is special in that it takes the fore and aft end thrust of the crank. Check the clearence/finish of bearing thrust face there too. If it is too tite that can create crank fit probelms.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 17:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Turn the block upsidedown. Place a lite coat of engine oil on each bearing and the crank main journals. Place crank in block WITHOUT caps.
Inspect each bearing-to-crank fit by eye to see if the crank is setting all of the way down into the bearings.

SLOWLY and cautously at first try to turn the crank. Does it turn freely????

Next, use some PLASTIGAUGE (it's CHEAP and effective).

Follow generaly accepted Plastigauge procedures/instructions which are available probably by googling "Plastigauge" or reading just about any service manual.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Some additions comments:

If possible find out if the mains in the crankcase were line bored while it was bolted to the block.

To do the line boring operation correctly the crankcase must be bolted securely to the block. If it is not, there is a good chance the alignment of the mains will not be on the same axis when it is attached to the block. End result, a tight crank and improper or non-existent oil film, which will destroy the babbitt bearings quickly.

Tightening the crankcase to the block will distort the crankcase slightly, this is why it must be bored with the block attached.

I've seen work where the crankcase was line bored without the block attached and the engine re-builder attempted to correct a tight crank by selective tightening of the block to crankcase nuts, trying to bow the crankcase to correct improper main bearing alignment.

If the line boring operation was performed with the block attached I would attach the block securely to the crankcase before checking clearance in the mains with Plastigauge.

If the crankshaft has been stored horizontal for two years, check it for straightness before you check clearance in the mains. You should always store a crankshaft vertical, if it is stored horizontal for a length of time it could have bowed.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2010/8/12 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

32model901 wrote:
Some additions comments:

If possible find out if the mains in the crankcase were line bored while it was bolted to the block.

No, the line boring was not done with the block attached. Another bit learned. Another bit learned to late .

Quote:

If the crankshaft has been stored horizontal for two years, check it for straightness before you check clearance in the mains. You should always store a crankshaft vertical, if it is stored horizontal for a length of time it could have bowed.

Regards,

Dave

The crank was stored in the crankcase. I left everything as it was shipped from the machine shop.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 15:24
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd still get the micrometers out and check everything, including as already suggested the crank end-play thrust surfaces. If all checks out OK, get out the prussian blue indicator and find the high spots. If it's just one small edge that's high because perhaps of not line-boring attached to the block, you might get away with a little babbitt scraping as the old-timer bearing fitters did.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Thanks again for all your help. I now have a new question. I know the minimum clearance for main bearing to crank journal is a thou, but what is the maximum clearance recommended?

After the cylinder block was attached to the crankcase, and many measurements were taken, it looks like the main to crank clearance is from 0.0015 to 0.0029.

I am sure that this information is someplace in the service manual, but I am, so far, at a loss as to where.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2010/9/5 20:46
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I didn't locate the range for your particular year and engine, but in later years one source (Motor's) gave the range of acceptable clearance as 0.001 to 0.003 for the 320 engine and I can't think of any reason why yours should be different.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 8:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved