Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 241

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Who rebuilds Ultramatics?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
Someone should contact James Kantz in Wichita... he just had a Twin-Ultramatic rebuilt at a shop in St. Louis. This shop was recommended by Mississippi Valley Packards, and apparently the guy is very skillful and adept. He is actually located in St. Charles, if I recollect rightly. I would like to know how his rebuid went, and if he is satisfied with the overall experience. We need guys like this!

Posted on: 2010/12/7 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
We should honestly put together a list of people who will work on ultramatics, which ones they'll work on, and usernames of those who have used them. Would be nice to have a go to list when looking for something.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
For many years Lupfers transmission in Carlisle, PA. did them. George Lupfer had a 56 of his own and did a few for me over the years. He may be retired, but I believe the shop is still there on Carlisle Pike as you drive into town from the turnpike.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well, i rebuilt my own twin ultra for my 55. you can see it in my blog. henrys 55 constellation.

i thought about rebuilding them and i was asked by a few people at the salado meet if i did it. but, i can't offer any kind of warranty. i don't even know if mine works 100% as i can't test it. i haven't rebuilt the motor yet and its all out of my car.

i can do the work, that's not that hard, its tideous, but the folks on this board helped me along on mine.

the rebuild kits are pretty good, so its just a matter of following the manual and hoping you get lucky. you could probably do it yourself, if i can do it you can do it.

Hank

Posted on: 2010/12/8 10:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Oh no, for sure Hank, I cannot do it myself!!! I am willing to drive it somewhere after it is removed from my car, but that's about the extent of my ability. I am curious how far Longview is, in hours, from Refugio!! I still have not given the transmission shop an answer...

Posted on: 2010/12/8 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
This shop is a distance from Texas but! Mine was done right and has a one year warranty and shifts like new. Good craftsmanship and care about the owners thoughts and driving habits.
Vintage transmission and gear.
Brentwood California p 925-513-4095.
John

Posted on: 2010/12/8 21:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
About 400 miles distance from you to Longview:

Attach file:

jpg  (61.98 KB)
1_4d0044d65fd19.jpg 587X634 px

Posted on: 2010/12/8 21:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
I am also interested in finding someone to rebuild my Twin Ultramatic. I am considering pulling the engine and trans out of my '55 Clipper Custom this winter and giving them the once over. They both leak and the trans gets stuck in Park sometimes. I live in Southcentral Pennsylvania. If there is someone in this region of the country that has experience with Ultramatics would be nice.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ross is in Maryland - not too far away.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 22:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I second Ross based on your locale.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 0:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved