Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Radials, Belted and judging....
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From post #1 above:
"My recollection, which has a visible amount of haze, is that radials were available in the late fifties as replacements".

Maybe. Just like Internet was available in the early 1970's too but very few people knew about it let alone had much resource or access.

POPULAR WIDE SPREAD availability/promotion of radials didn;t start until about 1967. Then only on the high end cars or as OPTIONAL on some cars. I bought bias ply tires that were still widely available well into the early 1980's.

THAT IS TO SAY that BOTH bias belted AND radials were equaly available in the 1967 to 1980 time frame.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 9:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
AS For any StudeBAker wheels that split with radials then how many ever also split that never had any radials mounted on them????

Maybe the wheels that split with radials would have also split with bias belted tires mounted.

i.e. the wheel splitting may have been a fault in wheel UNrelated to tires???

Posted on: 2011/6/11 9:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
In my case, during the year I had the halogen bulbs I only drove at night a few times. The big thing that made me change them back was the halogen bulbs kept tripping the circuit breaker on my headlamp switch. I installed a new switch and it happened again. I then installed just a breaker on the new switch. I obviously have problems that the switch did not correct. I took the car back to the way Packards engineers designed it and guess what, it now works fine. I am definitely not smarter than the trained automotive engineers who designed my 56 400.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
"Borrowed" from a halogen history site:

The first U.S. halogen headlamp bulb, introduced in 1983, was the 9004/HB1. It is a 12.8-volt, transverse dual-filament design that produces 700 lumens on low beam and 1200 lumens on high beam. The 9004 is rated for 65 watts (high beam) and 45 watts (low beam) at 12.8 volts. Other U.S. approved halogen bulbs include the 9005/HB3 (65 W, 12.8 V), 9006/HB4 (55 W, 12.8 V), and 9007/HB5 (65/55 watts, 12.8 V).

Depending on whether you had the 9004 or 9007 equivalent, each lamp will draw between 1/2-1 amp more on low and about 1 1/2 amps more on high beam using those wattage numbers as compared to original headlamp rating of 50/40 watt. The circuit breaker is only 20 amps so with the added draw plus all the other lights using that same breaker, it was probably just a bit much. I also believe the breakers do deteriorate slightly and lose capacity with age and then there's the old age terminal and ground corrosion problem that can also increase current draw.

One reason to add a couple of relays and separate power when going to higher output lights.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 14:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I added 2 relays (one for low and one for high beam) when I installed the Bosch H4 halogen lamps on my '47. I have not had any problems and I think the headlight switch will probably last longer also. They aren't authentic but even a Packard will probably lose an argument with a moose.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
As for SDC claiming wheel failure with radials weren't they the same folks that tried to bring us 1965 Packard V12 SUV minivans???

Nope, that was PAC.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 19:09
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/6/14 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
55packardguy, the Studebaker Driver's Club was the first publisher of the article on the 1965 V12.

Both clubs got "suckered in", Stude first, then PAC. Prior to that event, McKeehan was a well-considered author with quite a body of work to his credit.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 22:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
McKeehan just drank a little too much of that special Packard wine that he described in his Story

Posted on: 2011/6/14 22:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...the Studebaker Driver's Club was the first publisher of the article on the 1965 V12.

Really? I'd had PAC's Summer 2002 issue of The Packard Cormorant with that article for a few weeks before a Studebaker friend from NE OH came a-knockin' on my door with his copy of SDC's August 2002 issue of Turning Wheels in hand, to alert me of what he called a "scandal brewing".

Yet, the point of who published the article first may be moot as I understand that it was rushed into publication at the behest of one person, who was a longstanding member in BOTH clubs.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 21:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved