Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
290 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 289

Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 4GC Rochester Carb for 1955
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Wonder if the ethanol in the newer fuel blends is eating the gaskets if the carbs had a older composition gasket kit in them.

I'm chiming in a little late here but...
The new fuel blends definitely have an effect on older parts. See how it shrunk the cup seal on my accelerator pump plunger? I rebuilt my carb and it ran great for about 3 days then wouldn't start. A quick inspection revealed the accelerator pump wasn't pumping. These blended fuels will do that to your old parts. If its not to late, you might want to rebuild your carb yourself. If it was working fine, except for the leaks the new gaskets is what it most likely needs. The 4GC carbs are very simple. Take it apart, match the old gaskets to the new ones and re-assemble. Fortunately, where I live, there are 2 gas stations that sell non-blended gas. It cost more but the car runs so much better and I think the extra mpg's pay for it.
Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (9.95 KB)
1118_4eab9e9c1e9a5.jpg 160X120 px

Posted on: 2011/10/29 1:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Historically the accelerator pump plunger seals were leather but some years back a polymeric material found favor and was used by most of the rebuild kit makers. But now with our ethanol-laden gasoline, leather is again the preferred material. The leather can last quite a long time, the pump plunger in my Stromberg EE-22 was installed perhaps 35 years ago and is still pumping a fairly strong stream.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Owen,

Are the leather plungers commercially available for a 4GC rebuild? Would that be something that a customer would have to make a specific request for? Blended fuels are so common here in Arizona this time of year.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Go over to AACA website and look up CarbKing. Let us know.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 22:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin: The last several kits I've bought in the last feew years all had leather plunger seals w/o any special request. The very best kits IMO are those sold by Daytona Parts down in FL, I'd be confident that whatever they supply is thoroughly satisfactory - they're tops in the business. You could give them a phone call.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Kevin:

Whatever you do, do not overtighten carburetor and fuel pump screws. That will distort the castings. Leaks are caused by either too high float level, rough running, broken gaskets, corroded or distorted castings. If your problem is due to distorted castings then Permatex 1B sealer can be sparingly used as it is highly gas resistent. It is also fantastic for sealing leaky main jet plugs.

Now in the absence of a torque limiting screw driver, when tightening carburetor castings lightly grip the screwdriver and tighten unitl the lockwasher is compressed then continue until your palm begins to slip but no more than say 1/8 turn or until you see the gasket is compressed.

Over the years I've seen a lot of good merchandise ruined by overtightening.

As for you leaks, from the pictures it looks as though you may have leaking well plugs. This can be fixed using a good two part epoxy.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 11:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Just an update. The Rochester on my '55 400 is still being problematic and being 'sloppy'. The carb leaks a bit of fuel at different times and it really messes up the carb intake. I tightened things but think that it's just time to let a real professional firm rebuild things. Daytona parts comes well recommended so I sent off a 7007230 that I had on the shelf for the FULL rebuild. I'll post pics upon it's return.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.85 KB)
20_4ff37f3833bda.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (74.02 KB)
20_4ff37f41792b2.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (100.31 KB)
20_4ff37f4b3e6d0.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2012/7/3 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Excellent choice - Daytona is a first-class outfit.
Looking forward to pics.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 21:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i wait with anticipation!

Posted on: 2012/7/4 8:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
You can be certain Daytona will make it like new. Please share with the group Daytona's current remanufactured cost.

Another factor is the rising shipping costs. An old iron base Rochester or Carter is HEAVY. Round trip diagonally across the country is getting to be about what I used to charge to rebuild a carb.

Fortunately, we've still got a carb shop here in Spokane which is good enough for the girls I go with.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/7/4 10:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved