Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 122 123 124 (125) 126 127 128 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 19th September 2012

Before leaving home to head to the workshop Had a call this morning from Wade. Tony from Quikfit Mufflers at Gladesville had called Wade because Noel's '41 160 chassis was ready to be picked up. Wade had taken the chassis over yesterday and Tony had finished massaging the exhaust to fit including shortening some pieces and rebending others as well as fitting the exhaust pipe hangers. Wade needed to know if I'd be in soon, but I wouldn't. So Wade took off and picked up the chassis, which was aboard the shops car trailer, and returned with it to the workshop. In the meantime, after my arrival at the workshop, discovered that yesterday Noel had brought in his "K" steering wheel and that the steering column outer case and gear linkage had been disassembled with some parts cleaned while others hadn't been. But Wade's arrival with the chassis prompted some manual labour in order to get it off the trailer and back into the workshop, where it once again resides.

Shortly after the chassis was back inside Chris, Starliner, arrived. Since my offer 3 days ago, to look for '48 Packard hubcaps for him while I'm at Hershey, the shopping list together with accompanying photos complete with dimensions, has grown to also include Studebaker hubcaps and various Packard body trim pieces.
Phew, looks like many a metal detector will be set off on the trip home! No problems though, it's all for a good cause! Shortly after Chris's departure Noel arrived, not with a shopping list, but with parts for his '41 including the long awaited rubbers for the radiator collar/mudguard(fender) bracket stays and the original "T" steering wheel from his '41. And seeing Noel was there the chassis was brought to life for the first time. Slow to start, took a number of attempts before it fired. First running with a lot of hydraulic lifter clatter but once they "pumped up" settled down to a nice even tone. Then mild panic, fuel was flooding from the carburettor! Shut down, it would have been anyway because there is no water in the system yet, and mopped up. The carb may be taken back to the rebuilder, Tim of Carburettor Service Company, for diagnosis and adjustment. Needless to say Noel was pleased, as was Wade, that it runs again! Also discussed the contingency plans Noel has for storing the chassis while he's at Hershey. Wade has some doubt about getting it into my garage which is up a sloping driveway. Whatever happens, Wade will have workshop space for at least a month!

Then, after Noel's departure, I started cleaning the rest of the steering column parts. While I did that Wade took off to ABC Bearings and procured a seal to replace the one from MAX that did not fit. On Wade's return the steering box was reassembled and refitted to the chassis. Speaking of steering, yesterday Wade had also assembled the cross link to the pitman arm, so the chassis is getting closer to rolling AND steering besides running.

Left things there for the day with Wade taking an early mark to prepare for an early, very early, morning departure tomorrow for the Historical Radio Society of Australia 30th Anniversary Radiofest. Besides Packards, vintage radios being Wade's other passion.

Other matters of note:

1) Wade heard from Redistrip, they'd found the '33's fuel tank but wanted to give it more time. Apparently they are pleased with it's exterior but not so with the interior. Suits Wade, because in conjunction with his HRSA trip a few other matters require his attention early next week. Accordingly Wade wont be back in the workshop till next Wednesday.
2) Also heard from Dave the engine builder at Tamworth. Big Red's engine is progressing well with the short block assembly complete. Now working on the intake and exhaust manifolds. So at some stage next week Wade will probably go to Tamworth to pick up the finished product.
3) Wade set me a homework task for while he's away. Identifying characteristics of some of the parts of the chassis's steering column. But, how am I to do that? By observing the features in question on my '41 and reporting back. Hope I get a pass mark.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.73 KB)
226_505997a64fc3b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.16 KB)
226_505997c583921.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.47 KB)
226_505997d5643d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.10 KB)
226_505997e1b0875.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.57 KB)
226_505997f517691.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.93 KB)
226_505998077c6bd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.05 KB)
226_50599818dff5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.75 KB)
226_5059982919a25.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.38 KB)
226_5059983a80984.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.78 KB)
226_5059984977b60.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.28 KB)
226_505998578f497.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.39 KB)
226_50599869238da.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.52 KB)
226_5059987c45aed.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.80 KB)
226_505998a132080.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.30 KB)
226_505998b20508c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.66 KB)
226_505998c3d4f9c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.14 KB)
226_505998ce002fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.40 KB)
226_505998dbe8047.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.98 KB)
226_505998e8b03c3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/19 5:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 28th September 2012

Finally, after waiting for the stars to align, it was back to the workshop today. But only in a drop-in capacity as I went and donated blood plasma first, with Noel's emailed words accompanying me of "Please be sure to give your blood to the Red Cross and not to the Packard this time!" And no, it wasn't really necessary for the stars to align, just necessary for Wade's schedule to afford him the opportunity to return to the workshop. On the way in this morning Wade had picked up a 1 litre can of paint, along with two spray cans of the same, matched to the paint left on Noel's "K" steering wheel hub. Wade had also heard from Dave at Tamworth, the engine builder. Big Red's heart is ready to return and so Wade is heading to Tamworth next Wednesday to pick it up.

Then the real reason for my drop-in arrived, Noel. Noel had some ideas for the movement of the chassis to my garage or, as an option, his garage with Fleurette instead coming to my garage. However Wade was adamant! That is, adamant, that it was OK for the chassis to remain in the workshop while Noel was away! Once Big Red's engine returns Wade is devoting his full attention to getting her back up and running! Once Big Red is operating again she can go home to a nice snug garage and Noel's chassis can go on the hoist. Space will then be freed up for the other Packards almost lining up at the door waiting to get in! Noel's mate Tony also came in with Noel anxious for wanting Tony to enjoy and see the 356 running. Reason being Tony has devoted a lot of time and effort for Noel in doing the bodywork and any number of other things. But prior to Noel's arrival there was a test fireup, not successful because of a lot of flooding from the leaking carb. But oil pressure was noted as good on being cranked over. So when Tony arrived another attempt. Did start, using start you b@$#@rd, but wouldn't keep running because of the serious flooding. So the carb was removed to be dropped into Tim at Carburettor Service Company, the carb rebuilder, by Noel on his way home.

Another matter that had come up was The Fossils bonnet(hood). Steve had straightened and painted one side of the top panels and then obtained the other side from Wade. Unfortunately or fortunately, depends on whether you're a glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full type, Steve found a bubble in the paint of the other top panel! Now that needs to be stripped back and repainted. In light of that Steve gave The Fossil a close going over and can't find any further bubbling or other faults evident. Phew!

Next Tuesday, it being a public holiday here on the Monday, I had planned to be at the workshop but it's not going to be. I'd forgotten that my wife and I had been drafted for baby sitting duties of our granddaughters, our daughter is expecting with the birth of a grandson imminent. On Tuesday Wade is going to pick up Big Red's radiator as well as the cleaned out fuel tank for the '33. However I will try and make it into the workshop at some stage on Tuesday, babysitting permitting. For one thing I need to collect The Fossils wiper motors which are accompanying me to Hershey and deposit them with Ficken Wiper Service for rebuild. If not the Tuesday I'll definitely be there at some stage on Wednesday, while Wade is at Tamworth, and can pick them up then. And Thursday, that's departure day for Hershey, so my focus will be elsewhere. Maybe while I'm away Wade could make a brief post here now and then? Wade? Photos even? Anything?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.95 KB)
226_50655900851cb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/28 3:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 12th October 2012 - US time in Hershey Pennsylvania.

Received an email from Wade saying in part "...As far as Big Red goes, the engine has been cleaned and I finished painting all the parts today. Will now start to finish the assembly. The engine looks great..."

Good to see life in the workshop goes on!

Posted on: 2012/10/12 7:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 13th October 2012 - US time in Hershey Pennsylvania.

Tried to do this early today but, between packing, both parts and personal effects, ran out of time. Wade has been kind enough to pick up the running as shop photographer, on a limited basis, and provided the commentary below as well as the pic's.

"...Just a couple of shots to show that I was telling the truth, it really is coming together. Caught up with your Hershey adventures today and was amazed to see that you even found the door sill trims for me...."

Attach file:

jpg  (47.10 KB)
226_5079e001a6f68.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.48 KB)
226_5079e00f921b2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/13 16:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 19th October 2012

Called into the workshop bearing the sill plates for The Fossil, also some too short Trippe light bracket bolts and some clips for Barry Smith's '51 Convertible. Wade is still in the midst of preparing Big Red's engine prior to it's reunification operation. A lot of time consuming and necessary tasks to ensure it's a once only operation. Also phoned Chris, Starliner, regarding the parts bought for him at Hershey. Brought 2 things of his home with me, a hood ornament and a rear window trim piece. The rest is coming by boat and is scheduled to arrive before Christmas.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.65 KB)
226_50810780d5533.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.03 KB)
226_5081079865fb9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.64 KB)
226_508107a91499c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.36 KB)
226_508107b85e008.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.15 KB)
226_508107ca3c3d6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.93 KB)
226_508108875d5ca.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (15.95 KB)
226_508108dae9a56.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/10/19 2:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 22nd October 2012

Been a while, but back in the workshop today getting my hands dirty. And that's about all I did, while Wade installed parts I held a shop light, passed tools and generally 'go-fered'. The engine was in when I arrived and the grill, radiator and bonnet(hood) had also been installed with help from Graham over the last few days. Wade was just finishing off installing the fender beading for the grill and buttoning that up. The front bumper was then re-installed, and the lower radiator hose, and the generator and fanbelt, tensioning same. Next checked under car and re-installed the engine splash shields. The front wheels went on temporarily and Big Red was dropped to the workshop floor for the first time since mid April. The upper front suspension pins were then tightened with weight on them then back in the air, wheels off, further tightened and split pins installed. Wheels back on, dropped to floor again, all lug bolts tightened and hubcaps on. At this point work came to a close because the oil Wade had ordered hadn't yet arrived, but should be here Thursday afternoon. Still some work to be done once the oil is to hand with the top parts of the engine not yet re-installed. Reason being Wade wants to fill with oil then turn the engine over without the head on to ensure oil is thoroughly distributed to the moving parts and that it has oil pressure. Left it at that but will return Thursday, Wade's not in tomorrow, when first thing we'll do is pick up Richards '39 Convertible Coupe from Les who has finished the rust repairs on it. Might be a tight squeeze fitting it into the workshop Noel but I have been assured your chassis won't be kicked out into the cold!

Attach file:

jpg  (32.63 KB)
226_50861102af63d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.75 KB)
226_50861115a97a0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.04 KB)
226_50861126965b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.41 KB)
226_5086113843477.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.02 KB)
226_5086114c62f97.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.96 KB)
226_5086115fe1e1f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.38 KB)
226_5086116b2489c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/22 22:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 25th October 2012

First up it was into Wade's Ute and off to pick up "Roy", Richard's '39 110 Convertible Coupe, from Les. I was navigator and although I didn't get us lost, for a change, did gave a wrong direction but was able to compensate without losing our way. At Les's, I was circumspect and didn't take any pic's, as I'd been advised he prefers it that way. Very disappointing, to this Packard shutter bug, there being 2 x '33 Sedans, 1 x '36 120 Convertible Coupe, 1 x '37 120 Coupe, 1 x '46? Clipper Sedan. 1 x '48 rolling chassis and a myriad of parts around. When it came time to start Roy, he wouldn't, but after 2 battery changes and a hefty dose of 'Start U B@$t@rd' he finally sprang into life. Les swears Roy started right up earlier in the week! For the drive home I led the way in the Ute, after undertaking an intensive map reading course of the street directory prior to getting behind the wheel. Took the easiest and most direct route which entailed about 10 miles of Freeway driving and suffice to say we were the slowest cars on the Freeway. I learned later that Roy appears to need more than a look over the engine because of low compression with front shocks, steering, brakes all leaving a lot to be desired, I'm glad Wade was handling the chauffeurs duties in this instance.

Back at the workshop Roy was parked outside while we turned our attention to other matters. While I cleaned and gapped a set of plugs for Big Red, Wade massaged the heater hose fitting on Big Red's head to eliminate a tendency for leakage. Then it was onto the steering column for Noel's '41 160. All the parts had been disassembled and cleaned up but needed painting prior to assembly. Because they are parts exposed to view a Mal POR-15 job just wont do. Previously Wade had the paint colour matched from that on the steering wheel and besides a litre(about a quart) had two rattle cans made up containing the brown(my description, I'm sure there's a more precise colour reference) paint required. Then followed masking of the parts including Noel's K wheel of which Graham had stripped back the hub ready for painting. However prior to applying colour a spray etch primer has been applied and will be allowed to 'cure' before colour coats are applied.

Then David from Antique Tyre Service and Penrite Oil arrived. He had 20 litres of running in oil, 20 litres of oil for use after running in as well as 2 tubes of steering box lubricant for Wade. Also, in the back of his Ute, he had an old tyre off Big Red which Wade has been battling to obtain a refund or credit for after it's failure quite some time back. These tyres, by the time they land in Oz, are around $600 each, so you want full life out of them. The dispute is still in progress with another round scheduled for mid November.

After Davids departure turned to filling Big Red's sump with running in oil of which it took about 7 litres to slightly overfill by dipstick reading. Then using the starter turned over the headless engine to 1) pump oil through to fill all the passages and the oil filter, and 2) to ensure there was oil pressure in the system. First cranking attempt was aborted when it was realised, because the carb wasn't in place, the fuel line to the carb was pumping jets of fuel out over the manifold. To fix that the carb was temporarily mounted and fuel line connected, result no more jets of errant fuel. But after a lot of cranking the oil pressure gauge hadn't moved. Used a 12V booster pack, for more oomph, but it was depleted so wasn't much help. Then a second booster pack, no use at all, it didn't have any charge in it! Third, and last one available, certainly spun the engine over very rapidly, but best of all there was about 5lbs of oil pressure. Quickly disconnected the booster pack and then packed away Big Red until Monday. Not enough time left today to put on the head gasket, carb, distributor, etc, etc.

Turned back to Roy who needs to be housed indoors until he can receive the attention he requires. Did this by putting Big Red right up on the hoist, lowering Roys's top(Wade also did that on the trip over, rearward visibility isn't at all good with the top up), and Wade backing Roy into the space below Big Red. Graham did a great job of directing Wade for the final run in under Big Red, thanks Graham.

And while we're at work Noel and company are enjoying themselves. How do I know this? See pic's courtesy of the Flackmistress!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.91 KB)
226_5088d128838fe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.02 KB)
226_5088d13bc9949.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.56 KB)
226_5088d14e63f5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.37 KB)
226_5088d15d27115.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.09 KB)
226_5088d16fa2c9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.79 KB)
226_5088d1859ab6d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.09 KB)
226_5088d197462aa.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.74 KB)
226_5088d1aa294d8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.10 KB)
226_5088d2069c7ca.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.75 KB)
226_5088d213005ba.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/10/25 0:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 29th October 2012

With double deck Packard parking now in vogue at the workshop first thing was to move Roy, the '39 Convertible Coupe, outside so Big Red could come down to the floor to be worked on. But with Roy reluctant to start, very low compression doesn't help and the can of Start-U-B@$t@rd in Big Red, a stepladder was required for the cans retrieval. After that Roy responded, to the infusion administered down his carb throat, with alacrity. First job was putting the head on Big Red but we were short washers for under the head nuts so I made a trip over to Lee Bros to source some. And, for all you Morris Minor aficionados, thought I'd be able to photograph a Morris Minor or two at Morris Minor World which is just around the corner from Lee Bros. Except it isn't located there now! It's now at Northmead, about 3/4 mile away but far enough to make it out of the way on a Lee Bros visit. Forgive me, all those who were getting their Morris Minor fixes here will now have to go elsewhere.

Morris Minors aside, there weren't any, procured the washers and returned to the workshop. There, the head gasket was sprayed with a copper sealing coat and installed along with the head. Then came the head stud tightening which was accomplished with new studs and new head nuts. First tightened by hand, then in recommended sequence using a socket and ratchet, then using the torque wrench. First torque setting was at 40 ft/lbs. This wasn't done just once, or twice, no it was done three times! It's quite eye-opening how much more the nuts turned on the second sequence but by the third sequence it was then only minor increments. Next was at 50 fl/lbs sequenced once, then 60 ft/lbs also only sequenced once. However the final tightening sequence at 62 ft/lbs was done twice. It was apparent that after pulling everything down a number of times at 40 ft/lbs using the new studs and nuts, that in tightening after that the incremental head nut rotations experienced were very ordered with little variation experienced. But that won't be the end of torquing down the head nuts. After the engine starts for the first time, and is properly warmed up, they will be tightened again probably twice. Then after some initial running in time, and miles on the engine, another hot tightening down will occur. I had to leave early and by the time I left the carburettor had been re-installed but the distributor and upper radiator hose still needed to be installed along with filling the radiator. However I rang Wade later and found out Big Red was now complete and had been fired up and running, and running well, getting sufficiently hot for a hot tightening sequence.

And why did I ring Wade? Because during the course of one of the many tightening sequences, I think it was the 50 ft/lbs one, we had a visit from another Packard guy, RossM. Ross is an Aussie who has spent the last 25 years in the US but is home now. Ross is organising for his '35 Super Eight 3 Window Coupe to be shipped to Australia. The Coupe has been undergoing restoration for the last 7 years, after all it was in 5,000 pieces when obtained, but is close to completion now which will be done in Australia. There are also some engine issues which still need to be addressed and Wade is going to attend to those. The phone call was to find out Ross's email address, which I'd written down at the workshop but forgotten to take with me. I told Ross I'd email him a link to this Blog.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.80 KB)
226_508e17b8a26f2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.17 KB)
226_508e17c832c9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.96 KB)
226_508e17d9de956.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.59 KB)
226_508e17e9a619e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/29 0:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 30th October 2012

Wade was topping up the water in Big Red when I arrived. Seems that yesterday, there were a couple of large burps in the cooling system after start up. With any air pockets now purged more water was needed. Then start up, first press of the button and fired right up. Checked for leaks, oil, fuel and water and none found. Running smoothly, no vibration like it's previous incarnation, so was left to warm up for a while. Warmed up, Big Red was moved over near the workshop entrance and the tyres checked, all were down by the same amount so brought back up. Then out on the road, following the usual test route. All went well, oil and temp gauges monitored without any adverse indications, running smoothly, pulling well, no 'strange' noises. Wade was well pleased, that is until we returned to the workshop. That's when Graham informed him there was a small pool of oil where Big Red had been parked! Looked things over for signs of a leak with the right side engine splash tray showing evidential stains. Put Big Red up on a jack, along with a couple of jack stands, and Wade surveyed things from below. Confirmed the oil stains but wasn't able to pinpoint the source of the leak. Back on the floor again and started up, with the focus on the block fitting for the oil pressure gauge. And there they were, tiny bubbles of oil oozing from the fitting while the engine is running. Wade had his suspicions about the fitting because his original fitting didn't return from Tamworth with the rest of the engine parts, and had to use the fitting off The Fossil's spare engine. After being allowed to cool down, it's tight in there and close to the manifold, the fitting was able to be tightened up, and seems OK now. Will be put to the test over the next week with Wade driving Big Red to and from the workshop on a daily basis. Then the oil and filter will be changed and the head re-tightened.

Then the real test, a Packard Club Run from the 9th to the 12th of November. Lee, Larry51 here on PackardInfo, and his wife Marilyn have put a heap of work into organising a weekend run for the club. It's to Bathurst, about 120 miles west, where Lee and Marilyn live so we get to see their '51 Club Sedan in he metal. Runs have been organised to Carcoar, about 30 miles, to visit another PACA and PackardInfo member and also to Hill End, about 50 miles. There'll also be a 'not so hot lap' around the Mount Panorama road racing circuit. Why not so hot lap? Because when not being used for racing it's a public road! So with all that Big Red, as well as the other Packards in attendance, will given a real good workout on the rebuilt engine. And speaking of Bathurst, received a note from Noel who is also thinking ahead to that, although still in the US. Noel said "...When you see Wade, would you please ask him if I can bring Fleurette over to get the gearbox oil levels checked prior to Bathurst? Would like to do this on Tuesday or Wednesday if convenient..." Although I can't speak for Wade I'd be pretty sure this would be OK. After all, the more Packards going to Bathurst the better!

And speaking of Noel's Packard, besides Fleurette there's also his '41 160 Coupe. After Big Red's test run and leakage treatment attention then turned to the Coupes chassis. Big Red was parked out in the sun, glistening I must say after Steve buffed up the paintwork and Graham cleaned all the shiny bits. It really sparkles! But back to the chassis which went up on the hoist. Once there the pitman arm and cross arm were mounted and the steering linkage setup is now complete. The steering wheel was centered well, as well as my eye can manage in that situation. We'll see how well I went once it's on the road! All grease points were also attended to while it was in that situation. Lowered the hoist a bit and the radiator support brackets and rods were then tightened up. But back down on the workshop floor it was apparent the radiator wasn't vertical, leaning slightly forward. Wade removed the upper radiator hose, cut about 1/2" off the thermostat housing end of the hose, re-installed the hose and now it's great. Still need to source hose clips and a length of hose for the lower pipe and hose setup. Once that's done will be able to fill the radiator and start and run the 356 for a reasonable period of time. I think, although I'm often wrong when it comes to thinking, that's almost all Wade needs to do to the chassis at this stage.

That was all for today. Off to see our daughter, new grandson and granddaughters this afternoon.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.08 KB)
226_508f4a96d1fe3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.54 KB)
226_508f4af97d0c4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.92 KB)
226_508f4b0fae554.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.02 KB)
226_508f4b2af3f0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.13 KB)
226_508f4b3d00b6d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (39.01 KB)
226_508f4c155fa5d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.18 KB)
226_508f4c26d86df.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.72 KB)
226_508f4c35b5a9c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.90 KB)
226_508f4c462490b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.32 KB)
226_508f4c58103c5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.57 KB)
226_508f4c6b22bbf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/29 22:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, only a small oil leak from an ill fitting fitting? That's all? Impressive! Wade and associates must be doing something right. Congratulations on the rebirth of Big Red.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

« 1 ... 122 123 124 (125) 126 127 128 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved