Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 72

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 144 145 146 (147) 148 149 150 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah tell me about it. fuel pump is stock rebuilt. nothing more.

fuel filter is stock.

needle and seat are brand new from the daytona kit. not even a needle actually...its this rubber disc thing. hard to explain, but supposed to be better according to them.

confused me and my father in law too...how is gas leaking from there if it never gets to that height.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:52
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I probably can't add anything you haven't already though about, except to ask if you set both the float level AND the float drop? The float drop is important to keeping the needle and seat in position when you invert the cover to reassemble the carburetor. I can say that I've used dozens of the Daytona needle/seat assemblies or "float valves" and never experienced any problem with any of them. For others not familiar with the construction, here's a picture courtesy of Daytona's installation literature.

Attach file:

jpg  (127.63 KB)
177_51a4d6174f1ed.jpg 644X812 px

Posted on: 2013/5/28 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And the only other thing might be a speck of crud that was in the system past the filter found it's way to the valve.

That valve design is interesting in their claim it outlasts the needle valves. Maybe so but air and vacuum solenoids we used in some medical equipment had the same principle. We sure went thru a lot of those -- although the discs were probably of different material. They would develop a depressed ring where the metal met. Once that happened air would leak thru.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 11:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you are right HH....i took one out to look...it had the depression...whether it causes problems is unknown.

we set the float drop and level. did it with my father in law. two sets of eyes. matched the SM perfectly.

the only other thing i can think of is the little lead plug on the fuel inlet that is right next to where i circled is actually the culprit and is leaking. it follows the path of the fuel into the carb.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 11:32
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I would ask if the float level and drop specs provided by Daytona for use with this disc type valve, which I've no experience with, are the same as what's in the factory service lit. However, that question is kinda moot since you already removed the sight plugs and found the bowl level to be fine.

It's entirely possible that your leak might back track to a welch plug. However, you'll need either really good eyes or some kind of color-contrasting dye to trace it.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
in the 70s i bought the daytona at a parts store, i had problems with the drop, the one piece would fall out. or get cocked.

i went back to regular needle.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 21:38
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
good to know.

i put some RTV on the two pan bolts that are leaking on my trans and laid a bunch of white paper towels under it....so far, clean towels after 8 hours.

checked the float inspection holes last night, so far both floats still floating and fuel level at the bottom of the inspection hole with no loss of gas when i removed the plug.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 9:01
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
so, narrowing down the slow fuel leak. i j/b welded the little lead plug, see pic, and we will see if it still leaks. if so it is possible its from the atmospheric relief valve. at which point i may just put the old carb top i have on this carb as it doesn't have the valve at all.

checked my pan bolts last night. one is still barely seeping. i may just live with it, or take that bolt back out and try rtv one more time.

i took the carb off the car, gonna go through the book settings one at at time and in order again before i put it back on.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.74 KB)
491_51a756aad6a23.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/30 8:39
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
J/B weld to the rescue. no more gas leaking at that spot.

rechecked all the carb settings. still don't know if I got it set right...I think it needs a much finer ear then mine. I was able to get it to 6 degrees BTDC on the timing and then I adjusted the screws on the front of the carb till I thought it idled better. maybe my idle is too high, not sure, need to put on a tach to check. but as is it starts and I bet it would run half assed if it were a complete car.

didn't overheat this time and have fluid flying out the radiator. head gasket coolant leak is very minimal now. and I still got a very slow drip from that one pan bolt on the trans.

rear seal seems to not want to seal...damn rope. hopefully its not hosed or something or just needs to swell more.

here are a few pictures to look at and a video of what I have the car set at right now. maybe Ross or someone can comment about the way it sounds, etc.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rhRguKqM47w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thanks,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (52.00 KB)
491_51a809ce027f9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (59.95 KB)
491_51a809fa6f5aa.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/5/30 21:25
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Sounds like my Packard Hank. Good repair to the leaky carburetor. You are definately heading down the right road.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 21:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 144 145 146 (147) 148 149 150 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved