Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 207

Darrell, Don B, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Glad to be able to lend a hand.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 18:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
That's not a torque converter attached to the back of the engine in photo #4, it's a custom-made bolt-on cover that covers the flywheel during shipping. The same kind of cover is bolted onto the bell housing on a transmission in another one of the photos. Someone obviously didn't want any oil dripping out of those units when they got tilted this way or that.

I agree, I think the vibration could very well be a torque converter that's mismatched. Did that model have a vibration damper incorporated into the crank pulley?(Never mind, I missed a page. I see that's already been covered.)

Posted on: 2011/12/23 3:48
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard352
See User information
Hi Mike
Thank you for commenting on the photos.

Perhaps I should try and shed some light on the photos of the engine and transmission in the large box..!

The engine is a packard 320" that was removed from a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. The engine and transmission were working ok as far I could tell, though wasn't able to take the car out on to the open road when it arrived in the UK.

The engine and transmission were the only parts of the car to survive a firework fire in late October 2006, I think. My car together with 10 other classic Jagaurs (XK's - 140/150' plus later 1960's 320) were all incinerated in the fire.

In Studebaker Golden Hawk circles I have become well known because of this fire with some folk very kindly selling me hard to find parts.

The engine and transmission didn't have any covers put on them when they went in to the box. If I am able to get some better photos, I will try and take them / load them for further commentary, if you and others would like to add to the thread.

Of course, its the holidays, so there are limits to photographic opportunities!

Thank you agaim for taking the time to pass comment - i appreciate it.

Best festive wishes
Richard

Posted on: 2011/12/23 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:

"The engine is a packard 320" that was removed from a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. "

I am not a GH expert but for many years i have been under the impression that GH got 352 V8 ONLY.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 11:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Quote:

packard352 wrote:
Hi Mike
Thank you for commenting on the photos.

Perhaps I should try and shed some light on the photos of the engine and transmission in the large box..!

The engine is a packard 320" that was removed from a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. The engine and transmission were working ok as far I could tell, though wasn't able to take the car out on to the open road when it arrived in the UK.

The engine and transmission were the only parts of the car to survive a firework fire in late October 2006, I think. My car together with 10 other classic Jagaurs (XK's - 140/150' plus later 1960's 320) were all incinerated in the fire.

In Studebaker Golden Hawk circles I have become well known because of this fire with some folk very kindly selling me hard to find parts.

The engine and transmission didn't have any covers put on them when they went in to the box. If I am able to get some better photos, I will try and take them / load them for further commentary, if you and others would like to add to the thread.

Of course, its the holidays, so there are limits to photographic opportunities!

Thank you agaim for taking the time to pass comment - i appreciate it.

Best festive wishes
Richard

OK,

Perhaps we're thinking about different photos, because this object is definitely not a torque converter. It is bolted to the bell housing. I've circled one of the bolts. It actually looks like an oil drain pan that's been modified and turned into a cover. There's even what kind of looks like a cut-off handle welded to one side of it. Also circled.

http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/uploads/hausdok/201112231930_tranny2.jpg

Wishing you also a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/12/23 18:11
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Quote:

"The engine is a packard 320" that was removed from a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. "

I am not a GH expert but for many years i have been under the impression that GH got 352 V8 ONLY.

That's correct. The short wheelbase '56 Flight Hawk had the Stude flathead 6, the '56 Power Hawk had the Stude 259ci V8, the Sky Hawk had the Stude 289ci V8 and the long wheelbase G.H. had the Packard 352ci V8

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/12/23 18:26
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
All Studebaker & Packard Hawks have 120 1/2 inch wheelbase only the sedans and wagons had the short or long wheelbase

Posted on: 2011/12/23 19:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Quote:

acolds wrote:
All Studebaker & Packard Hawks have 120 1/2 inch wheelbase only the sedans and wagons had the short or long wheelbase
I think you're right. The reference source I'd used listed the 1956 Flight Hawk as part of the Champion line (56G), the Powerhawk as part of the Commander line (56B) and the Skyhawk as part of the President line (56H) and only the Golden Hawk in the Hawk series (56J). I'd assumed that since they were in those lines, and since they used a different body tub from the G.H., they'd shared the same chassis and wheelbase as those other lines.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/12/24 2:48
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard352
See User information
Its been a busy few days since I've been out of town. To clarify a couple of things; the first Golden Hawk I bought arrived with a Packard 320 engine... and I felt sort of short-changed at the time. It is true to say that all Golden Hawks were fitted with the Packard 352, but in 56J circles, it is well-known that if the 352 gets tired and replaced, it is often subsituted with a 320, which I presume is because its an easy swap.

OK, now to the present... I was able to find some time to get down to the basement and photograph the backend of the engine and also the transmission... remember, these came out of the first car.

And so to the photos...

I have also taken a photo of the transmission unit form which the part number is visible.

I wonder if I have helped to clarify any issues... or just created a whole bunch more!
Richard

Attach file:

jpg  (95.43 KB)
3613_4ef6420d6ac6d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (79.01 KB)
3613_4ef64259905da.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.79 KB)
3613_4ef642a80b536.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.65 KB)
3613_4ef642ebac5de.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.59 KB)
3613_4ef6432b79f48.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (122.70 KB)
3613_4ef6438312c83.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/12/24 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
There is one on Ebay right now that has a 374 with the dual quad set up.Whats even better is its a 3 spd stick with overdrive an Twin Traction.(Ebay Item number: 170750662697)

Posted on: 2011/12/24 17:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved