Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Hey guys:

Any of your theorys have merit. The one thing that has been forgotten, because I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, was the fact that the guy that I bought it from says that the guy he bought the car from was the son of the original owner who was a Packard employee. Now whether he was an employee of the factory(unlikely since the car was in the Chicago area) or an employee of one of the local dealers(more likely for the same reason) is open to question. If the latter then he would have access to the parts no doubt. That would explain why the transformation looks so clean and not cobbled up like it was done in the back yard. I wonder if in some archive somewhere there exists a list of Packard employees. My seller does not remember exactly where this guy was from, but he did say it was not to far from Charlotte. If I ever get to fully retire and worry about money, I plan to spend a couple days in that area looking around automotive circles to see if I can locate him. Also the hood seems very stationary when up and there is no prop rod. However I will follow your advice. Question I don't think I will do it, but benefit would warrant making the hood scoops functional? More moing air around the engine, but that alone, I don't think would warrant the time and work.

ALK

Posted on: 2010/1/6 7:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Al -

IMHO, what the parts book refers to as "splashers" (starting in Gr. 30.9874), mounted left and right and top and bottom of the radiator, actually serve as an excellent system of baffles or deflectors that direct plenty of air into the engine compartment. Of course, the primary intent of that is for cooling.

However, I don't believe that making those hood scoops functional will accomplish much for engine performance unless you're gonna fabricate corresponding ductwork to direct that extra air into the carbs. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to cut up one of those rare (read as "high-dollar") 2x4 air cleaners, which means more fabrication work (and $$$) for a custom air cleaner.

Back in the day, my dad had his Exec (with the 352 mill, a single Carter WCFB, and the air cleaner with a single inlet) up to 110MPH, with the needle still climbing - though he didn't dare take his eyes off of the road (US 19) beyond that point. He had done nothing to that car other than a little fine-tuning to get that level of performance - no mods. Clearly, the Jr. chassis, with its shorter wheelbase, afforded some weight-savings, but your car has the added benefit of the 2x4 set-up - provided the carbs are properly jetted and tuned for the 352 mill.

Personally, I'd get more value from the effort put into coming up with the prop rod and details (or fabricating a reasonable facsimile thereof) to go with that 55 Caribbean hood.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

AL wrote:

Question I don't think I will do it, but benefit would warrant making the hood scoops functional?ALK

Answer: Because it'd be cool!
Besides, I think faux scoops are bogus. Even if making them functional doesn't offer anything "practical" it certainly increases panache and the "oooo" factor when you open the hood. Fakes are just fakes.

You wouldn't have to cut up the air cleaners either. Just do what they did on the "muscle" cars--route the ducting onto the top of the air cleaner, replacing the lid. Or, make a special lid that adapts to the ducting. All you need is some foam strips to seal the inevitable gaps when the engine is moving around.

The scoops themselves are a diffent story--never having seen one of those hoods I couldn't say what it would take, but I believe the "scoops" are really just molded "bumps" with no passages. That would be a pain, and you wouldn't want to chop up a good Carib hood for any amount of "cool." But it would be cool... that was the only thing serious about my suggestion: it'd be seriously cool.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 18:16
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL,

You have an e-mail! 2-6-10. 2:00 p.m.

Hey, post some more news here, too!!

The Hot Rod Clipper deserves some more publicity.

Posted on: 2010/2/6 15:02
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The attached photos should go a long way to point out why no work is being done this weekend and why none has been done in a while. Even though the car is in the garage, it's too bloody cold out to work on it. I know, I know I'm from the north and I should be able to handle it. 20 years ago I would have sneered at the thought of NOT working in the garage, but in 20 years the bones get more brittle, the blood get thinner, and the desire wanes a bit. Besides by next week we will be in the 60's and the last bit before the interior will be complete. I have time to wait. My upholsterer is moving back to his house where he will have more room for me to snake the car and trailer in and out. At least the upholsterer is making some progress on his end.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.56 KB)
430_4b76c6672bce9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.20 KB)
430_4b76c7a62e418.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.33 KB)
430_4b76c8676551e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/2/13 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
The attached photos should go a long way to point out why no work is being done this weekend and why none has been done in a while. Even though the car is in the garage, it's too bloody cold out to work on it. I know, I know I'm from the north and I should be able to handle it.

Sorry, AL, but that is not snow, it is a flurry, and that is not cold, it's "nippy."

Just thought you'd want to know from the land of 10-inch of Partly Cloudy days and busted outdoor thermometers. But are we frowning?

But working in 10 to 20 degree damp, cold conditions is really the worst, so enjoy your time off. Upholstery looks nice, and now you can sit on the seats while contemplating your next project...

Posted on: 2010/2/15 1:16
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
N E X T P R O J E C T ???????????

Are you trying to get me killed. Whatever my next project is, rest assured it will not involve any kind of car restoration, not if I want to remain breathing and happily
married. LOL

Posted on: 2010/2/15 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
AL, little known fact about snow: It is actually a white fungus that comes out of the ground and raises to to sky. When it comes out too fast to be absorbed by air, it starts to accumulate on the ground (with apologies to C. Schultz). And, lately there has been a lot of fungus among us.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/15 12:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
At ease disease. Actually I thought someone had blown up a grits factory.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well finally some progress. I have finally gotten the front bumper on and the whole thing is now beginning to look like a whole car. Just some misc. chrome to put on and then the interior.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.05 KB)
430_4b8ed41f5c362.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/3/3 16:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved