Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: V8 hardtop Seat Belts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nope. It's a series of sewn, peforated vinyl (imitation leather) panels, with stainless steel moldings covering the seams - like all other 56th Series hardtops: Packard, Clipper, and Exec.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 8:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe there is much up there to easily mount anything to after a car is finished. There is the triangular shaped structure on the bottom for the headliner rod ends to insert and then the barb thing for the headliner edges screws to it. As I recall, the structural piece is narrow and would almost have to have anything substantial enough to attach a belt welded on.

Not something to be done at this point for me -- but anyone restoring a car that might be interested in future shoulder belts might give consideration if the inner roof structure is accessible and unpainted.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 9:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Have to take an alternate opinion with some of my pals here in Packardinfo land reference not using seat belts. After 32 years of urban policing, I saw many injuries and some deaths that would have been preventable had the driver/occupant(s) simply buckled up while driving their autos.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 9:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Deacon Bill Ladroga
See User information
Since Kar Belts kits are so rare, I replicated a set of front seat belts for my 56J. I got the safety belts from a belt manufacturer, dyed them similar to the original color and fabricated the metal belt retaining clips and door edge anchor plates. I used a pair of the original flip-up buckles through which the belts slide. Fortunately, we have a local airplane seat belt fabricator in our area and he did the sewing on the center belts and furnished the stainless steel belt ends that preventing fraying. Frank Ambrogio of the 56J Only Club has reproductions of the small round red and black "S-P" labels for the buckles.

If anyone is interested in the dimensions of the door hardware, I can e-mail them. The center belts are merely bolted to the floor with large round washers under the floor pan.

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (59.97 KB)
2038_4e7a0e42a97f7.jpg 1034X692 px

jpg  (45.62 KB)
2038_4e7a103206dbc.jpg 837X674 px

Posted on: 2011/9/21 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for posting the pictures. Just curious how practical you find them in use. Some comments made earlier about the seat position and a couple of esthetic things makes me wonder if there are limitations which would make a more modern design the way to go.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Deacon Bill Ladroga
See User information
I could have gone with more modern belts but I wanted the installation to be as orignal as I could make it. The only thing I couldn't replicate was the cable-type center belt anchor of the early kits, so my center belts are individually bolted to the floor pan with large washers underneath.

Frank Ambrosio of the 56J Only Register has been my source of a lot of information about these belts and even furnished me with the two original flip-up buckles.

So far, I've found no disadvantage to the original design. In fact, with my all-vinyl upholstery, the belts keep you firmly planted while cornering!

I guess if there is disadvantage to this installation is the time it takes to put the belts back into the door clips after you've used them. We're so used to retractable belts in our modern cars!

Posted on: 2011/10/2 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thanks for the pictures 56GHMD, just when I get comfortable with my level of "I've seen it all" I become humbled almost immediately. I've never heard of seat belts affixed to the door before.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 19:48
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gerd, Since you asked in the 3 point thread and since I started this one, will mention the decision. Not my first or second choice or proudest moment but practicality won--not something that usually happens with my projects. After some comments pro and con, finally didn't have the heart to make holes in the door upholstery for the factory type belt so ruled them out and went with charcoal color lap belts with a chrome lift lever from Wescohttp://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelts.html Their charcoal color does go nicely with the code 296 Maltese Gray carpet and the Packard Gray Boucle upholstery.

Tried several variations for shoulder belts. Played with going under quarter windows for the shoulder anchor but meant a hole in that upholstery or else mount the support & guide under the metal trim and extend it. That would have been weak and would stick out to become a people grabber for anyone getting in the back seat. Didn't look that good either. Seat backs are too movable and do not latch to be able to anchor shoulder belts at floor and go up and over. Didn't feel there was enough support at the roof either since it's mostly unsupported with only a narrow flange in the area-- so not many options left and after some struggle finally took the easy way out. It's not like the car will ever leave my driveway anyway.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 21:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Not my first or second choice or proudest moment but practicality won--not something that usually happens with my projects...

Howard, for years your advises and comments convince me that you are a wonderful motorcar mechanic and electrician. This view is encouraged by the virtue of modesty, shown in the "post" above. To restore a car together with you would be great. That's what I think.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 8:45
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"Didn't feel there was enough support at the roof either since it's mostly unsupported with only a narrow flange in the area-- so not many options left and after some struggle finally took the easy way out. It's not like the car will ever leave my driveway anyway..."

ok. I don't know what the hard top roof support looks like but i am more than willing to take your word for it.

Eitherway, let us consider the PRODUCTION DOOR mount pictured above. I doubt that the door structure is any stronger than the SEDAN structure at the roof or pillar.
COuld the same conclusion be made of the HardTop roof structure???? And that's not to mention that the door mount appears to be installed with sheet metal screws but not sure.

Bottom line: Any mounting of seat/shoulder belts only has to be as strong as the DOOR mounted using reasonable visual inspection analysis. Anyone have a crash sled and several test bodies to run a test?????

Posted on: 2012/3/10 8:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved