Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

humanpotatohybrid, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: mystery switch and mystery noise
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, SC Vol. 25, No. 14, p. 67 advised of the need to stamp suffix "H", but isn't quite clear as to which engines - that is, by displacement. That article also suggests installation of oil filter equipment on replacement engines with hydraulic tappets - making the aforementioned Trade Letter even more curious.

A little more page-turning turned up STB 50T-53, which states that the "H" suffix was used with factory-installed engines having hydraulic tappets in the 200 line, but - again - doesn't specifiy displacement.

Since hydraulic tappets would have been standard equipment on 250/300/400 models, by virtue of their standard engine equipment, I'm wondering if no suffix was used on those engines.

If so, then no "H" suffix on steve's motor, which does have hydraulic lifters, might suggest that it was transplanted from a 250/300.

Of course, I'm no expert on these cars - just brainstorming.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 22:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If so, then no "H" suffix on steve's motor, which does have hydraulic lifters, might suggest that it was transplanted from a 250/300

I'm thinking it was not a transplanted engine but was the option OE on the Clipper 200s. Doubt they would have had a separate run of engine numbers just for optional engines.

The lack or dropping of the filter is strange though when it seems they went to the trouble of including them on just about all other hydraulic equipped cars from the beginning. Could there have been such a thing as building down to a price point back then. What would a filter setup have cost them--maybe a dollar or so in parts cost. Of course, that was money back then so maybe it did squeeze the profit on low end cars and was left off so the dealership could do a hard sell on the option.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
FWIW...my '51 200 has a 288 engine with hydraulic lifters. It has the H suffix and no oil filter. From what I have seen, the engine appears to be original to the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (131.68 KB)
508_4ef2885dac81a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/12/21 20:26
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
thank you for the illumination ,I gues my engine,s a clipper 250.300 transplant into the custom 200 .I have an oilfilter .

After inspecting the lifters which I guess cant be adjusted, replacing the oil and filter element ,adjusting the timing ,which had been at 12 d btdc and now is at 6 d btdc (required pulling out the distributer and redropping it ),the mystery noise on the hill is GONE! it Was detonation I take it .Boy it really sounded like a metal on metal clack .

But after all this the valves still have a good clatter ,sounds like a diesal motor running where one hears a fair bit of of valve noise ,does this mean its the valve seats or valves themselves that are bad?The car runs ok and doesnt smoke ,I had heard that these engines are really quiet runners ,I guess since the Packard was a quality car it should be quieter than my 50 chrysler L HEAD 6 CYLINDER 236 engine(DESOTO) which I cant even always hear if it runs or not

Posted on: 2011/12/22 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

51Packard wrote:
FWIW...my '51 200 has a 288 engine with hydraulic lifters. It has the H suffix and no oil filter. From what I have seen, the engine appears to be original to the car.

51Packard, you know your car the best of anyone. The 327s were equipped with mechanical and hydraulic lifters, but I have never heard of a 288 equipped with hydraulics. The 327s with mechanical lifters were fitted to the 200s and the hydraulics went into the 300 and 400. Does anyone else out there have a 288 with hydraulic lifters? This would be good information to add to our knowledge data base. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/23 12:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hydraulics became optional in the small engine. The 327 was also optional in 200s.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.27 KB)
209_4ef4cd4e6be2a.jpg 595X535 px

Posted on: 2011/12/23 13:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, thanks for posting this. I was not aware hydraulic lifters were fitted to the 288s, but I am now. Do you suppose the move was to reduce the servicing required to make the cars more appealing? I can see the ad copy now: "Never needs valve adjustment." I will need to revise my engine specification table.

(o[]o)

Judging from the date of the announcement, it must have begun with the early 24th series.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 15:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
My '51 200 Deluxe's 288 has hydraulics and oil filter. Some question as to it being a service engine - will get with the Muriatic Acid test today.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 15:27
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
so I guess the engine answer for me is that my 52 200 had an optional 327 with hydrolic lifters and an oil filter ,smart ordering! engine number =420194 mystery solved !

Posted on: 2011/12/24 0:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Applied the Muriatic Acid on the number pad today - results: inconclusive. Holding the light one way, I see nothing; holding it at another angle I think I see numbers but might be a mini flash-back thanks to my mis-spent youth. Tried chalk with the same results. Applied white sneaker polish and will let dry then try hitting it lightly with fine grit sandpaper tomorrow. If that doesn't work I give up. Maybe it is a Service Engine and the guy who was supposed to stamp the numbers didn't have his Wheaties that morning.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 1:17
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved