Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Re: Guess it might not be the points.... Suggestions!?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Compare these to the old points and see if they are bent.

New Points are readily available over the counter at your local parts place.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 14:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Are you saying that you are using New Restored Old Stock? I would suggest that authenticity is fine but I would attempt that after the car was running. I'd buy new until then.

1951 Point Gap is .017 inches.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 14:32
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sometimes NORS is still on a shelf as it was defective or a return back then. Points is points, and new fresh stock is available.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 14:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
It's not uncommon for brand-new points to be misaligned - even OE service replacements. Yet, the contacts must be parallel and centered; else, you'll never be able to set gap correctly.

To align the contacts, you can tweak the stationary contact bracket, but NEVER bend the breaker arm (lever).

A special tool used to be available, industry-wide, to aid in accomplishing this, but it became obsolete as electronic ignition systems displaced point type systems in late model vehicles.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
N.C.23rd Packard, you and I have had this discussion before about aligning points. This picture from Glenn's. One point face is flat the other slightly convex. You bend the stationary point until the center of the convex point is centered on the flat point. Otherwise any point gap measurement is of dubious value.

The 2nd photo shows measuring the spring tension on the moveable point arm. This only pertains to point sets that are not sold as preassembled units.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.92 KB)
177_5037ef3433597.jpg 798X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/8/24 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Yeah I know the point gap spec was mentioned somewhere a while back. Be patient with me, my Glenn's Auto AND Chiltons manuals are in the mail. Then maybe I can help to answer some questions (by looking stuff up)instead of just asking them. On the old points it was the arm that rides on the cam that was bent, about 3/8 of an inch back from the end. the "base" or stationary one does not at all look like it lends itself to being bent. On the up side I found the "real" parts store (useless ass NAPA dudes!)today and not only do the have a machine shop attached, and all kinds of racing goodies, but their parts books go back to 1927. Also they had the (I think it is the right stuff) "EP" gear oil that Owen was talking about the other day. Is it normally $17 per quart!?

Attach file:

jpg  (98.01 KB)
4828_5037f90e29bfd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/24 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
No wonder Pertronix is doing so well (my dad even has one in his 99% original '66 Charger) I can just imagine how much fun this would be by flashlight on the side of the highway! lol!

Is this the right stuff for my rear-end, steering box, trans?

Attach file:

jpg  (104.03 KB)
4828_5037fa1c49446.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That gear oil is fine, it's about 3 times the price of the traditional stuff because you chose a synthetic. But since you're changing from a mineral gear oil to a synthetic, I'd drain all the old stuff and then refill. You can check the specs yourself but I think a complete refill take 4 pints.

Perhaps you got a bad set of points, ask them for a replacement set. As to points, look at it a skill to be learned and passed on to the next generation. Besides, the 6-volt positive ground Pertronix have a somewhat cloudy reputation for reliability.

It's good news that you found a parts store with a good counterman willing to lookup stuff for you. Around me NAPA is terrific, AutoZone is worst than useless - all depends on the personalities and their attitude towards customers.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Sorry, I have been looking and still can't find what that gap was for the points, I will write it in the front of the manual i have this time.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
When I drain it (after I get this beast running) am I supposed flush it with kerosene? If so does that mean run it around the block like that or just let some run thru there and drain out the bottom?

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved