Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 173

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 42 43 44 (45)

Re: Don’s 1937 (120) 138CD Deluxe Touring Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Just posting this in case it may help anyone else. Prior to removing the front clip and really cleaning out the cooling system everything electrical was working great. Right after I got everything back together, I started experiencing cases of my brake lights mysteriously coming on….after the car was parked and off for a while. I could tap the brake pedal and they would turn off. Then, it would happen again. I know…battery disconnect…but, that is currently (pun) a pain with my disconnect switch at the battery, under the seat. And, it only happened once in a while and the lights were only on very faintly (LED bulbs). Over the next couple of weeks, it started happening more often and tapping the brake pedal didn’t always help. So, disconnect switch opened!

Four days ago now, I had a thought and decided to try it. I sprayed the brake switch contacts with contact cleaner. It seems to have fixed the problem. My conclusion is that with all the flushing of the coolant etc…I must have splashed some water/coolant/who knows what else on to the contacts and when it dried, it left a very slightly conductive film.

Anyway, If anyone else experiences this, something simple to try before tearing into things is just spraying the contacts with cleaner.

Posted on: 7/12 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
A disconnect at the battery is pretty easy to come by; I will be putting one each on my 115c and the 110.

I picked up a few of these at our swap meet last weekend:
ebay

Pulling the clip off, you might also have some minor damage to the wiring at the break light switch. I destroyed the insulation on mine on the '40 by looking at it wrong.

The whole car will be rewired with a modern kit, but that was only one of several nearly invisible wiring breaks in the ancient insulation. Coil lead to the ignition was the most problematic.

Posted on: 7/12 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I have a disconnect at the battery. It’s just a pain to get to…lift the seat etc… Eventually, I’ll install a different switch that can be easily accessed.

Posted on: 7/12 22:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 42 43 44 (45)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved