Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

53 Cavalier, Terry S, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi folks:

Here is a little tip on that infamous left side exhaust which is harder than some of the worst modern cars:

The last unit I dealt with had broken studs.

I drilled them out to 5/16 - 18 rather than 3/8. This allowed the heat riser to be snapped into place from the side after the pipe was connected and made the pipe easier to get into place.

Grade 8 5/16 bolts are plenty strong and can be had in special corrosion resisting coatings.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Don't forget the heat control valve on the left side. That takes two different gaskets.

Oh Lord! Well that explains why I still have an exhaust leak.
Thanks Randy. I just thought I was losing my mind.

Jim

Posted on: 2011/11/4 19:42
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Hi folks:

Here is a little tip on that infamous left side exhaust which is harder than some of the worst modern cars:

The last unit I dealt with had broken studs.

I drilled them out to 5/16 - 18 rather than 3/8. This allowed the heat riser to be snapped into place from the side after the pipe was connected and made the pipe easier to get into place.

Grade 8 5/16 bolts are plenty strong and can be had in special corrosion resisting coatings.

Thank you Tim,

I'll print out and file that away in my '55 Packard binder. Hopefully, I'll never need to do that but I know how my luck runs.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 19:45
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I think you would do well to repaint the car in its original Sapphire (Code F) single-tone scheme, but not merely for the sake of authenticity. Two-tones look great on the Four Hundred and Clippers, but the 55-56 Patrician sedans seem to look more stately in a single exterior color, and the dark blue metallic is a nice color. Just my $0.02.

More discerning owners prefer the tasteful two tones...... Agean Blue and Dover White is widely considered to be the most desirable combo......

As noted elsewhere, you need to start talking to Mike Dulinsky (in the service index) about parts. Reasonable, tremendously helpful, honest. He has junked out over 100 V8 Packards...and drives one himself.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 12:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Some minor progress to report. The right-hand side exhaust system is nearly fully installed. It is now complete up to and including the muffler and all that is left to install is the resonator/tailpipe assembly. I found out that I need to replace the tailpipe hanger in the rear bumper and since I was going to replace both rear bumper ends anyway, now seems to be an opportune time to do that. Both of the bumper ends are pretty well rotted out but the prior owner appears to have repaired the left-hand side with bondo and then painted it, and some of the other portions of the rear bumper, silver, and not a very good job, either.

I've read with some interest the debate between a stainless steel exhaust system and an aluminized steel system and the pros and cons of each. I opted for a stainless steel replacement system. Since I have not yet fired up the Patrician with the stainless system installed, not surprising since the left-hand system still needs to be installed, I haven't experienced any of the strange noises that some of the posts indicate come along with the stainless steel system. Something to look forward to, I suppose.

The car is progressing, albeit by baby steps, but it is progressing. My lovely wife is now taking a re-newed interest in the car now that I'm putting new parts on it rather than simply removing rusted old ones. I think she is still visualising herself riding around in it on a fine spring day, which is not out of the realm of possibility. The Patrician could certainly be roadworthy by spring, if not sooner, but she certainly won't be looking pretty anytime soon. Quite a bit more work is required for that to happen, but I'm confident it will happen.

Oh, how I envy those with heated garages!

Posted on: 2011/11/5 19:29
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
You just need a diesel/kerosene heater like I got. I have a 3 car garage and warms it up nice. I open the attic stairs to vent the diesel smell. I turn it on about 10 min before I go out and it is toasty warm when I'm ready to work. I think I paid close to 200 bucks, but well worth it. Even use it on my porch on cold nights. Holds 5 gallons and usually lasts me all winter.

It's one of those jet engine looking things.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/11/5 20:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Thanks for the tip, Hank. I'm familiar with those heaters. One of my friends had one, we used to call it a torpedo, and I recall it made quite a noise when it started up but it did heat the area pretty good. Right now I'm stuck with an old kerosene heater that my father purchased in the late 70s that is still good, but it doesn't heat nearly as well. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the area above the garage to vent the kerosene fumes.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 8:28
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had the type Hank mentions and got rid of it because of the smell. My current one is same style except it burns propane. It's a little noisy but bearable and also does a quick job on a 3 car garage -- but without the smell.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I think she is still visualising herself riding around in it on a fine spring day, which is not out of the realm of possibility. The Patrician could certainly be roadworthy by spring, if not sooner, but she certainly won't be looking pretty anytime soon.

Now we are not usually concerned with grammar and punctuation as most of us would fail. BUT you were careless in using the term SHE. The first SHE is obviously your wife, but the identity of the second SHE is not quite so obvious. I have concluded that the second SHE must be the Patrician and not your wife. Be very careful of SHE in the future.
Remember, as ACOlds says, "If she aint happy, you aint happy".

Posted on: 2011/11/6 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Had all four (4) of the brake drums turned at the machine shop at my local NAPA store. Cost was $30.00/wheel and they turned out nice. The rear drums that I picked up with the spare rear I bought from Ross are looking good and the machinist did a very nice job. I now need to re-pack the front wheel bearings once I get new front seals and then install the brake drums on the car. I imagine that this will be the first time that the Patrician has had rear brakes and drums for quite a while.

I also started work in replacing the master cylinder and came up against another surprise left by the former owner. It appears my predecessor replaced part of the driver's side floor and the patch panel overlaps the floor plate holding the master cylinder. Oh joy! The overlap isn't consistent and is a quarter-inch at its greatest. At least the patch isn't welded to the master cylinder panel. I can probably bend the edge with a vise grip enough to get the floor panel off and then when I replace it with the re-built master cylinder, ensure that the floor panel goes overover the patch. I have one small brake line to replace and then I can add fluid to bleed and test the system. It will be nice to know that I can stop the Patrician once I get it going.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 9:42
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved