Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 249

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Morticus' Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Edition
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Alright, we need some guidance here. The threaded bung for the fuel line on the new tank started to spin a bit when the fuel line was tightened. That caused a slow and steady leak. In an effort to stop the leak and prevent the bung from spinning in the future, we silver soldered it back together. We installed the tank again and tested with 5-6 gallons of gas, no leaks.

However, now the fuel pump is not pumping any fuel. Filing the fuel bowl in the carb runs the car until that is gone, with no fuel ever making it to the glad bowl and filter.

I'm suspecting an air leak, and my fear is that the heat needed to get the bung hot enough to bond to the silver must have detached the interior tank pickup line from the bung. I have no idea how the pickup line is connected to the bung on these reproduction tanks. Were they soldered? If so then the heat probably melted that solder and now we are sucking air.

If that's the case then we'll need to drop the tank again, cut a window, and reattach the pickup line. So frustrating on a new tank.

My other thought is to take one of the old tanks I have, cut the top off like Ross did, have it sandblasted inside and out, weld it back together, seal the inside and paint the outside. It would almost be less of a hassle to do that it seems.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 7/12 0:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That's frustrating.

My tank is original, but I was plagued with a rusty tank that clogged fuel filters at will.

So I had it Renu'd as new tanks were not available at that time.

They drill about six one inch holes and then media blast the tank inside and put. Metal plugs go in and then an epoxy coated inside and out and is baked on. So the coating is rock hard when done and not soft or able peal like those DIY pour in sealers.

Guaranteed for life. A serial number plate is installed on the top of tank.

Posted on: 7/12 7:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Same with the tank in my 1965 Cadillac for which replacements still are not available. In this case, they cut a rectangular opening between the top ribs, sand blasted and brazed countless holes, then welded the panel back in. It’s not invisible but you have to take out the tank to see it.

As for Packard, the tank in my 1951 Henney-Packard was riddled with holes which I didn’t know until I started de-rusting and cleaning it. After a thorough chemical derusting and etching of the inside, it now has at least three coats of Hirsch gas tank sealer which is my brand of choice after having drained the tank in my 1954 Patrician that had been coated with it decades ago, driven a few thousand miles, then parked. The gasoline that came out was clean and still smelled like gasoline! (It had lost it’s oomph, however, so was not burnable.)

Posted on: 7/12 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The frustration here is that this is a brand new tank. It probably hasn't even had two full tanks of gas run through it. I think we are going to have to cut a window and try and solder/braze the pickup tube connection back in place.

I do think I will take one of our spare tanks and freshen it up though. I'd rather have a backup ready to go instead of having a car unable to drive while we try to sort out tank issues.

-Kevin

Posted on: 7/12 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good idea and my comments above were with that in mind. I know how frustrating it is when something is defective on a new part and I would definitely let the supplier know too.

Posted on: 7/12 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Good idea and my comments above were with that in mind. I know how frustrating it is when something is defective on a new part and I would definitely let the supplier know too.

I did (Auto City Classics) and they never responded.

For those looking for new tanks now, I see that Dwight Heinmuller carries them (https://www.packardparts.org/products/parts/). I've had nothing but good experiences with Dwight. I would recommend ordering tanks from him.

Posted on: 7/12 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe the tanks are all from the same manufacturer so I doubt one supplier would be better quality-wise than another. That said, I’ve known Dwight for probably 40 and maybe more years and buy things from him too.

Posted on: 7/12 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see Dwight has also added new reproduction power window switches for most models. A great addition and if he could find and carry or repro the mounting clips for the switches and make a deal with YnZ to also stock the 55-6 electrical terminals that would be a source for products none of the other vendors seems to carry.

Posted on: 7/12 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
YnZ does have the power window connectors for 1955 and 1956. I have one of their window harnesses for my 1956 Clipper with the new connectors and they sell them separately too.

Posted on: 7/12 14:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I believe the tanks are all from the same manufacturer so I doubt one supplier would be better quality-wise than another. That said, I’ve known Dwight for probably 40 and maybe more years and buy things from him too.

Yes, they are all probably from the same manufacturer. But Dwight cares about his customers and that hasn't been my experience with Auto City Classics in this case.

Posted on: 7/12 14:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved