Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you have not already done so, now would be the ideal time to repack the rear wheel bearings and replace the inner and outer oil seals.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/11/8 10:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
mine also runs on kerosene without a smell, but kerosene costs way more then desiel per gallon.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 11:24
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Not too much to write about right now. Over the weekend I pulled a muscle in my back installing the right-hand exhaust system and it is only now getting to the point where I can work on the Patrician again. I don't recall these problems when I was younger.

I did take advantage of the Veteran's Day sale at Sears and bought a 25-gallon compressor. I don't have a media blaster or any air tools yet, I don't want to burn out the charge card. I've been very impressed at how nice some of the parts that other bloggers have media blasted and I must admit that I am a bit envious.

My apologies for not posting any photos for a while. Once I get things a bit more settled in the garage, I'll try and take some decent ones to post. After all, how many mufflers, tail pipes and brake assemblies can you look at?

Enjoy Veteran's Day and thank a vet for their service.

Tim - USAFR (retired)

Posted on: 2011/11/10 20:13
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
A productive evening spent in the garage. With the temps mild and steady rain outside, it was an ideal evening to work on the Packard. I managed to swap my old master cylinder for the rebuilt one. It was a pleasant surprise at how easy the old back plate came off after it had sat for a few days with the retaining screws out. Last week I tried without success to get the old master cylinder out and decided to move onto more promising projects. After a week's respite, I gave it another try tonight and, after a few false starts, it came out. I've posted pictures of the old and rebuilt master.

Once I managed to get the rebuilt master cylinder in place, I worked on lining up the push rod with the brake pedal and was again pleased at how little effort went into adjusting the backing to line up the two. I'm somewhat worried since things that go together that easy are usually wrong and I'll find out to my dismay later one.

I then re-installed the front drum bearings, packed them with grease, and installed the front seals. Both front brake drums went on fairly easily. The only drum I had any difficulty with was the passenger's rear drum and I fear that the manual brake might be the culprit. I may have to slacken the rear manual brake cable a bit in order to relieve the pressure on the manual brake. Any other suggestions out there??

So, now all four wheels have new brake parts, wheel cylinders, hoses, and hardware. The drums have been turned, cleaned on the outside and painted. The bearings have been re-packed. The re-built master cylinder is now in place. The only chores left to do is to replace the line from the front joint to the master, hook up the front and rear lines to the master, re-install the vacuum line to the master, and then put in new fluid and bleed the system. Actually, that's not too bad all things considered.

Once the brake system is finished, I still have to tackle the removal of the damaged left exhaust manifold and installing the replacement. I'm not looking forward to that chore, as my earlier posts have probably shown, and just getting to the retaining bolts appears to be a real PIA.

It is probably a relatively simple chore with the engine out of the car or with the front end of the car off. However, performing that chore on an intact vehicle is looking to be a real challenge. I can see that I probably will have to remove the driver's side air ducts in order to get at the bolts. The bolt heads themselves look kind of scuzzy and I'm planning on using new bolts to install the replacement manifold. When I get this chore done, I'll probably pull another back muscle from patting myself on the back - assuming that I don't screw anything else up in the process!

Attach file:

jpg  (74.74 KB)
3929_4ec48515cdd7a.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (51.11 KB)
3929_4ec4852728f7f.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (60.05 KB)
3929_4ec485337bd9e.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (63.01 KB)
3929_4ec4854092ef6.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2011/11/16 23:10
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Lookin' good -

I especially like the Master Brake Cylinder. I've got a spare that I'm going to rebuild as well for "just in case". Actually I plan on replacing the existing one before any serious driving anyway. Even though the one on the car checks out and works fine, I don't really trust anything that sat for 26 years even if it was a heated garage.

Your work is very inspirational.

Keep up the good work!

Jim

Posted on: 2011/11/17 0:12
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Jim, thanks for the kudos. I'm afraid that I'm just stumbling along the best that I can. Thank the Lord for the service manual! I am planning on keeping the old master cylinder and rebuilding that as a spare once I get the major work done on the Patrician. There are plenty of re-build kits available on both eBay and from suppliers such as Kanter and Max Merritt.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 0:19
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tim, It is important to get a correct adjustment on the rear brakes to back off the parking brake cables. Then adjust the service and parking brakes according to instructions in the service manual. Patrician is making good progress, congratulations, and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/11/17 13:04
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Other than loosening the rear manual brake cable and pulling the drum, how does one go about getting that initial correct adjustment for the manual brake? I do have a problem with the passenger's side which appears to be partially engaged. I was hoping that simply loosening the adjustment on the cable would do trick. The driver's side is fine. Any suggestions??

Posted on: 2011/11/17 15:32
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you disconnected the cable from their respective levers and mechanisms on both sides and verified the cable moves smoothly and in an equal amount in both housings. There could be corrosion causing poor movement and limited release that some lube might help or perhaps even a strand or two of cable has broken and jammed causing the problems in the passenger side.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 16:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I don't know your level of mechanical skill and I don't have the manual in front of me, but this is how I would go about adjusting the rear brakes.

With the transmission in neutral and the parking brake cables loosened, tighten the star wheel adjustment until the the wheel is locked. At this point reconnect the parking brake cables. Tighten the adjustment until there is a small amount of give in the cables (they should both feel the same). Then start backing off the adjustment until the wheel is just free. Check the parking brake adjustment.

Adjust the front brakes the same way, obviously there is no parking brake to worry about, Then bleed the brake system. Adjust first then bleed.

This is not a complicated job, but not easy to describe as it is done mostly by feel.

Also, be sure to cover the adjustment access hole in the backing plates with a cover to keep dirt and water out. If yours are missing any self-respecting auto parts store should have them.

Others may do it differently, or have the manual instructions handy to display or from which to quote.

Good luck.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/11/17 17:29
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved