Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 173

humanpotatohybrid, Brian Hart, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 19 »

Re: hph's 55 Clipper Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Probably it does need cleaned. I gently smacked it against the workbench a few times, we'll see if that loosens things up, and go from there.

Looks like something like this could work.https://www.vintagecarradio.com/accessories/repro-radios/accessories/repro-radios/repro-radio-vibrator-for-most-models/

Posted on: 12/9 20:53
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The solid state replacement vibrator in the link is what many use today. Only downside is they are (or were) polarity specific. If the battery in pos ground cars is accidentally reversed and 55s in particular seem to get a fair amount of accidental reversals then if the vibrators being made today still have the same construction as the older ones they are toast.

Posted on: 12/9 22:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For my 55 400 Wonderbar radio, it was electrically refurbished before I got it. Because the car was originally positive ground, I was hooking up the radio that way to test. Found the radio was made for negative ground only. Fortunately I use a power supply that I can set to 7.5A limit, hooking it up positive ground pulled the voltage down to around 4-5V; quite low. Not sure what is shorting out in the vibrator, or if it even is the vibrator.

A common way to protect against shorts is to have a Zener and a thermal fuse. The Zener protects against reverse polarity and overvoltage, and the fuse cuts off thr circuit when there is too much current through the diode, making a self-protecting, self-resetting protection system.

Posted on: 12/9 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I got the vibrator going in the Clipper radio and made a video too. Radio still needs work, more updates to come...

Posted on: 12/13 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Is this an original Packard manual antenna?

Attach file:

jpg  20231223_150331.jpg (5,689.35 KB)
225076_65873dc95141a.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/23 15:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
No. That's a commonly sold aftermarket unit - been around for decades. A 65 Chevy C10 that my Dad bought used had one like that.

Posted on: 12/23 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The mirror is not stock either but appears to have been on it a long, long time! As I recall, from the outside the manual antenna looked much like the powered one except, of course, there was no motor mechanism below.

Posted on: 12/23 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks BH and Don. I have a spare power antenna mast etc. except for just that rubber boot. So I think I will use that instead of this goofy arrangement, which is very loose on the car. Probably I could repair the power operation too and upgrade the car to a power antenna setup, but I doubt there's much point to that.

Also does anyone know how these are supposed to stay in place? Both of mine are warped as you see.

Attach file:

jpg  20231223_152139.jpg (4,002.66 KB)
225076_6587783a0a19a.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/23 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can't speak for 1955 but I added a radio with power antenna to my 1952 Henney-Packard and it was quite easy, especially as it was an NOS unit with the templates for the holes.

Posted on: 12/23 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes I have no doubt it won't be too difficult as long as I have all/most of the parts, but I'd almost rather not add any options to it as it only has 4 options as it sits.

As a side note, the mirrors are nearly useless as not only are they very small and hard to adjust, but they are not even convex.

Posted on: 12/23 19:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved