Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

kevinpackard, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 82 83 84 (85) 86 87 88 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well it was all for not as the fedex guy came back Friday afternoon. i was suprised as they never do that. i think he was a curious as to what he dropped on the floor and what it went to.

i told him what it was for and he said is that a Ford. i was like google it, no its not a Ford. its better than that. he said i'm just into hotrods and he laughed. i was like okay bye bye then. lol

anyways the box was pretty much destroyed, but i think everything was okay inside. looked okay anyways. the cam was fine. didn't get a picture of it though. will post that later.

you can see where they balanced the rods, especially on that one. that musta been a heavy one.

the block is at the machine shop and they have the engine manual so they can fit the pistons correctly.

then for father's day i got my dad the same tattoo as mine. An English G for the English side of the family. the German flag for the German side of the family. and the roman numerals for the generations of my name, my son being the 5th.

enjoy.

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (151.74 KB)
491_4dff5250a6368.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (147.52 KB)
491_4dff526777220.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (148.61 KB)
491_4dff537d5a870.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (125.43 KB)
491_4dff54a67dcd1.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:09
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Henry, just as a precaution before it is installed perhaps you should have the crankshaft checked for straightness, given it's shipment trauma. Most good auto machine shops have equipment for testing and straightening.

And it should be stored "on end" until such time as it is installed.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes this was my thought as well, which sux cause that just means more money.

will stand on end, was just worried it would fall over again.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:43
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Can vouch for the stand-on-end storage and worry-about-knocking-it-over. Had to tiptoe around a lot of cranks in my dad's shop... and crankSHAFTS too, hee hee.

Glad to see your parts coming together, and agree that anything dropped needs careful checking, especially the crank, which being cast, can chip, crack and even break from a bad fall on a concrete floor... counterweights especially. Not saying it has happened to yours, but always pays to check.

Camshafts, I'm not so sure, they are REALLY hard, chilled cast iron. I think they're pretty hard to damage, unless they are out-and-out shattered somehow.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 0:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
camshaft was well protected, but the crank was not packed as well as i would have done personally, but i didn't make a fuss out of it. i'll probably take the crank in and have it checked just to make sure. i spent this much so far what will a few extra bucks matter right?

crank is back on its end today.

had to send one of the pistons back as it had something i didn't like about it, but Jack is a nice guy and is replacing no questions asked. once that comes in they can move forward on the block, pending its being a good (not cracked) block.

more to come soon.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2011/6/21 8:20
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Nice pics of the rods and crank, they look good. Maybe post some pics of one of the pistons too.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 8:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
see page 84 of blog. pistons in box.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 8:55
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
All of these posts about bad experience with Fed-ex, UPS, REA express etc are typical. Most everyone has problems on a regular basis.

I always hesitate to business with shippers that do NOT or refuse to ship US POST OFFICE. Over more than 40 years the US post Offfice has has delivered to me with only 2 or 3 rare disappointments.

"Professional" vendors and service providers get somekind of discount or wholesale pricing for the shipping and then recieve somekind of retail price that they charge the customer. HOWEVER it happens to work effectively the big volumn shipper vendors make money from the shipping charges. In some cases that is why they really don't care how many times u return a part for replacement at your expense of shipping both ways.

Best to insist on US Post Office shipping. Only problem there is that USPS has weight and odd sized shipping regulations. So things like tyres, heavy cranks or blocks etc become a problem.

For smaller packages under (IIRC 40 pounds) the US Post Office is optimal.

EDIT: In many cases this is why package delivery or actual ship date of a parcel is often 10 days or more after payment recv'd. The shippers are waiting until they can get up enuf orders to meet somekind of a discount or volumn level shipping discount/wholesale threshold.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 9:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTW. Nice Tats. Maybe see if the local artist can come up with some Packard or Clipper tats. One of the hens around here has an industrial bar that looks like a miniature front torsion bar.

THis has all inspired me to talk to Diamond Dimples about maybe changeing from diamonds to something Packard. Any ideas????

Posted on: 2011/6/21 9:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've had reasonable luck with the post office too but even they screw up. There is a box in the back room sent by another poster here. A USPS "Ready Box" with a delivery confirmation fee paid. It arrived with one side crushed and was left on the front porch. Fortunately the damage was not a big issue but the fact the shipper paid a fee for confirmation makes me wonder what the post office's definition of confirm is. In this case, it appears to be there was a house on the street and we confirm we delivered it to one. Apparently doesn't mean anyone was home or it was the right house.

Any shipper is going to screw up once in a while. Biggest issue I have with the USPS is you wait--no matter what time of day or week, there seems to be one or two clerks and 10-15 in line waiting for one. True for all companies, but at least you don't wait at the shipping companies while someone buys a bunch of money orders or has to look at all the commemorative stamps to decide which one they want.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 9:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 82 83 84 (85) 86 87 88 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved