Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48 Ignition Switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
Just took the Ignition Switch out of my '48 and took it to a locksmith to get keys made. Once the keys were made, noticed that the switch only has on / off positions. If I turn the key to "on", how do I start the car? It doesn't have the modern day feature where you turn to on, then turn more to start.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 17:52
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Re: '48 Ignition Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Please download SL Vol. 15, No. 11 and review the article on on "Car-Starter Switch". This feature was first introduced on the 1941 Clipper (Chassis 1951), then adopted across all models in subsequent years, and used through 1953.

That procedure may be reiterated or superseded by instructions in the 1948 Owner's manual; both the 1st Edition and the 3rd Edition are available in the PackardInfo archive for downloading.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 18:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If this is the same car you are doing with the GM engine conversion then you will have to provide a button to do the starting. Back in the day a Ford type chrome pushbutton was often added in parallel to supplement the gas pedal setup. Don't think you can reuse the carb switch setup in any fashion. The other option is a universal ign switch with the starter function but then you run into key and stock mounting and looks issues.

Finding a 54 Packard switch MIGHT be an option. IIRC, the mount and bezel will be different -- more like a 23rd series in looks -- so might not be too out of place in the 48. Not sure if the 48 lock cylinder you just had keyed will interchange with it.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 18:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Finding a 54 Packard switch MIGHT be an option

Very, very difficult to find a 54 switch in serviceable condition.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 18:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
So we are going to get a bush-button switch. Which wire do I use for this? The one that goes to the Coil?

Posted on: 2012/11/9 4:16
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can use the coil terminal off ign switch. Since you are converting to 12v, plenty of power will be available for the coil if something else is also added to the terminal. It's open unlike earlier switches where that terminal and wire was enclosed in armored cable.

Not sure how the GM conversion or ign is going to change the stock wire run to be able to use the wire already in engine compt. Any ballast resistors involved?? Normally starter feed would come from the GA terminal on ign sw to avoid loading down the coil supply voltage in any way. The original starter circuit was a separate wire off GA terminal to the carb switch and then to solenoid. I'd just keep that arrangement except run a short wire from GA to button and then to solenoid.

Believe your switch only has the single "on" position turning to the right of center off. If that is incorrect and yours has three positions, then in switches which had an "on" position to either side of center, the coil terminal was only active when key was turned to the right. If that's the case it would make sense to use the coil terminal.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
The 48 has the carb start switch. Just bring those 2 wires to a push button. I must be missing something

Posted on: 2012/11/9 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You could use the original wires by extending and running them back. IIRC, if this is the same car mentioned earlier there is a custom rewire of the car in progress. Wasn't sure if the original switch wires are still present so the suggestion for this approach.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 19:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
A lot of great feedback. Thank you very much.

So here is the history:

I built this person a new wire harness for his '48. After the harness was complete and delivered, he decided to go a total different route and install the Chevy 350. Because of this, many of the wires to the engine are either moved or eliminated altogether (still trying to figure that out... groan).

Two of the wires I was going to completely eliminate are the 2 wires that go to the carb; not required on a Chevy 350. But the previous post makes total sense that I just bring these back to the dash where the button will be installed. Great help!

Posted on: 2012/11/10 1:59
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved