Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

37Blanche, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

drivetrain swap in my '53
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Hey all! So over the summer I'll be swapping out the 327 in my '53 Clipper for the 340ci V8 and ST400 from my '66 Buick LeSabre.But don't worry the ol' eight will not go to waste! I will be rebuilding it eventually and using it in my '28 Ford Tudor, where it can really be shown off and brought to its full potential. Anyways, my main reason for the drivetrain swap is driveabilty. You don't have to tell me about the Packard out there that are daily driven; I drove this car to high school (and all over hell and back, pedal to the metal!! ) everyday for a year, then swapped in the 327 from a '53 Cavalier and drove it til I moved for college. It is a great motor, and a blast to drive! But 6mpg doesn't exactly fit my wallet. It's come to the point that I only drive my Packard once or twice a month, sometimes not at all, and only ever to the local diner... most of the time I just sit it in and pretend I'm driving.

But back on track here- I've been looking at specs for both cars (the Packard and Buick)The 340 makes 220hp, and 350lbs of torque. In my Buick I averaged 20-25mpg on the many road trips I took in it (most of the time around 800 miles round trip. The Buick weighed 3,828lbs, the Packard 3,760. Estimating for difference in weight of the engines/trans, the Packard will weight about 300lbs less than the Buick, with 40 more horses and 50 more pounds of torque than it has now!! SO, not only more power (more fun), but it should get even better fuel economy than my Buick did!

Posted on: 2013/4/24 19:23
 Top  Print   

Re: drivetrain swap in my '53
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Interested in the Packard S8 into the '28 Tudor, please let us know how that goes.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 5:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
It should be kool! Have you seen the roadster pick-up that was in Hot Rod? There's some videos of it on YouTube too... That's basically what I'm shooting for.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Yup! Seen that, let us know how it all goes together.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I got a call today from a guy selling the motor out of his '53 Clipper... He says it runs good, and was rebuilt in the 80s, doesn't burn oil, block is solid, no knocks or valve noise. I'm going to go take a look. If it really runs as great as he says I might snatch it up, drop it in quick so I can cruise all summer, and postpone the swap til winter... anybody have any thoughts on this??? seems like the logical thing to do.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
then swapped in the 327 from a '53 Cavalier and drove it til I moved for college. It is a great motor, and a blast to drive! But 6mpg doesn't exactly fit my wallet.

Just asking other later I8 owners what is your MPG experience. Only 6 MPG would seem way low, as they did twice and more that back in the day.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved