Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trick or Perfect wife?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
In talking with a well known '55-'56 guy (....from Maryland....,), I was given the very scary news that my Clipper might be economically terminal (My '28 526 certainly is, but as a family car, that doesn't matter to me.) This diagnosis is still not fully determined - Left rear suspension held up by a 4x4, (I don't think that is factory). Anyway, upon hearing this news, and my dispair, my lovely bride of 15 years simply states, and I carefully quote, "Then get another one"....., I am very impulsive and as such prone to foolishness, but is this an invitation or a trick?

If money were not very much an object, I would immediately begin the search. Okay, that I did, but without the easy means, actually following through would take major hoops. The good news, I suppose is that I desire, a low desirability -Constellation.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 7:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Trick or Perfect wife?
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
How would we know! We dont live with her!!!!!!!!! My wife is a Packard person and knows that even thinking --then get another one-- means $$$$$$$.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 8:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
In talking with a well known '55-'56 guy (....from Maryland....,), I was given the very scary news that my Clipper might be economically terminal

With what little you've told us, I have to wonder if your "advisor" has actually seen and inspected the car.

If you're talking to Ross Miller, I've never met him in person, but judging from his excellent posts, here, I would trust his evaluation. However, be warned that there are plenty of self-proclaimed experts out there who are merely looking to sell you something.

Also, while the present buyer's market might be tempting, I've seen a lot of scrap metal out there being marketed as collectible automobiles. Before embarking on a search for another car that could be full of unknowns, make sure that it truly isn't feasible to repair the car that you already know so well.

As regards the question posed in your subject line, I'm a single guy, based on my observations of some married friends, I suggest you check with the wife at every step along the way.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
You are correct, the advisor has not seen the car in person, (but he has many helpful, accurate posts here) I just described the problem, he told me to check the torsion bars, if broken or missing - find another. They appear fine, but I am not really familiar with them.

I was mostly just chuckling at my wifes reaction. Money here and most places is tight, but she knows my passion and would never stand in the way of something that I thought that I "should" get.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Ray,

I'm of the old Fred and Carol Mauck school, "Every woman knows that when she comes between a man and his Packard, she's walking on very thin eggs."

It's a bit of a mixed metaphor, but you get the point, I'm sure.

The two definitive works on the subject reprinted by Packards International in 1998 are attached.

I was very fortunate. My lovely wife, Elaine, adored the Packard and made many a sacrifice so we could enjoy it, including following me 656 miles in a Volvo because we expected it to breakdown on I-5 on the way to California in the 80s. We had a high time visiting relatives there per attached photo.

I would give your wife the benefit of the doubt, and also find or do something as precious for her passion whatever that may be.

Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (195.84 KB)
1067_518e63c675b78.jpg 972X1280 px

jpg  (190.85 KB)
1067_518e6419e338f.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (104.31 KB)
1067_518e642ec1fd6.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/5/11 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I was lucky enough to find a wife that never complained about my hobbies. Whether trains or Packard or records, I was at home or she was with me. Sounds like you are blessed with the same kind of lady. Keep her happy.
Remember what ACOlds says "If she aint happy, you aint happy"

Attach file:

jpg  (79.52 KB)
23_518e7c131c3b9.jpg 1167X1277 px

Posted on: 2013/5/11 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I just described the problem, he told me to check the torsion bars, if broken or missing - find another. They appear fine, but I am not really familiar with them.

I don't think broken torsion bars in the 55-56 Packards are very common. The one case that I've personally seen had one broken main bar, and the frame rail on that side was resting on the pavement - naturally, since front and rear wheels are connected.

After further inspection, let us know what you find, and we'll try to help - even if only as a technical sounding board.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Loved these, but wanted to make them more easily readable....

Attach file:

jpg  (194.62 KB)
2488_518ec10d6bd35.jpg 972X1280 px

jpg  (201.13 KB)
2488_518ec12278fb2.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/5/11 17:07
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved