Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Historic Vehicle Assoc. E-News
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Just received my monthly HVA News Letter and was very much disturbed by the "NON Mentioned" independent auto manufacturers "contributions" to the American war effort during WWII. Especially with regards to the Packard Motor Car Company when the writer basically threw token Willys Overland in the mix for their development of the Jeep. I immediately wrote a response which hasn't been posted yet (and may not be) and blasted them for their lack of giving credit where credit is due...informing them of PMCC'S mass production of the mighty RR Merlin and also let them know that both Hudson and Studebaker built equipment including everything from trucks to trailers and that all three independents were capable of both equaling and surpassing the "Big Three" in quality.

http://www.historicvehicle.org/News/Articles/All-Articles/2013/05/14/Big-Three?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=HVA%20Newsletter

Posted on: 2013/5/14 20:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Historic Vehicle Assoc. E-News
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
On top of that, if they gave credit to Willys for the Jeep they would be wrong. American Bantam designed the Jeep.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
And, don't forget the Packard marine engines. And, Chrysler's use of the proving grounds, which almost ruined the facility.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/14 21:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't thank any German ever surrendered to a Sherman tank. At least any that wasn't a British agent. Not that I like anything German, but the Sherman was a death trap.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
As far as Jeeps were concerned, the U.S. Department of War determined that American Bantam was too small a company to produce the number of vehicles the military would require, so Jeep production was split between Willys and Ford. Studebaker was responsible for B-17 Flying Fortress engines, US6 6x6 military trucks and the M29 and M29C "Weasel." Hudson provided the "Invader" engine that powered World War II landing crafts, 20mm cannons, and airplane components.

All of the car companies made sacrifices and contributions to the American war effort. As for the Sherman tank, it was a medium tank while the German Tiger and Panther were heavy tanks. The Sherman was successful when it had the numbers to go up against the Germans. Keep in mind, too, that the Germans are notorious for over-engineering their cars and their tanks were no exception. Unlike the Sherman and the Soviet T-34 medium tank, the German tanks were overly complex and tempermental. When they broke down in the field, it was nearly impossible to repair them, so the orders were for tank crewds to destroy disabled tanks. This meant that as the war progressed, the Germans were able to field fewer and fewer capable tanks. Then the Germans shot their wad at the Battle of the Bulge. Most of their tanks were taken out by American field pieces, but Shermans also got their share.

The Sherman was relatively inexpensive and produced fairly quickly, as well as being adaptable and reliable. The Germans overall had the best tanks in World War II, but the Americans could overwhelm the Germans with sheer numbers. Sometimes having what you need and being able to count on it is bettter than having the very best and then being forced to blow it up yourself because parts are unavailable and no one is capable of working on it.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 7:11
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Speaking of Chrysler using the Proving Grounds for tank testing in WWII, I wonder why they could not get this thing going up on the outside lane?

After the war the test track had to be rebuilt.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.44 KB)
436_519388740be54.jpg 1280X988 px

Posted on: 2013/5/15 8:07
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The only thing that saved those poor souls in the Sherman tank was that Normandy was loaded with British agents and so the front collapsed. Running a higher casualty rate as a means of strategy is more commonly referred to as carnage.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think it is worth noting that the Proving Grounds oval track surface was repaved with an asphalt material to cover the damaged concrete. This was tried instead of removing all the damaged concrete and replacing with new paving. This method was simpler, easier, and less expensive than the traditional method. It was successful and was adapted across the country to repair old concrete paved highways.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/15 10:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
JW, I did not know that, I thought that the track was repaved in concrete.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
The only thing that saved those poor souls in the Sherman tank was that Normandy was loaded with British agents and so the front collapsed. Running a higher casualty rate as a means of strategy is more commonly referred to as carnage.

Several years ago I talked to a SS Panzer commander. German nickname for Sherman was "Ronson or Ronson Lighter". My father's older brother, a Sherman radio operator, survived three of them. Earned Oak Leaf Cluster on Bronze Star w/V device during the Bulge.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 12:09
Stephen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved