Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

Peter Packard, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Gregor's neue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Forum!
Gregor my 'garage mate' just bought himself a 1953 Patrician from California, and it should be on a ship to Rotterdam Holland at the end of July. Here are a few pics of what is awaiting. The car looks pretty solid, but the big catch is the Ultramatic is missing! Luckily we have a used tranny here in Germany from a 54 pacific that we can use. The second problem is that it has hydraulic windows and is missing the hydraulic pump on the firewall! The plan is to convert them to regular hand crank windows.
I'll be happy to have another packard in the garage, but I have a feeling I am going to be helping Gregor get this thing on the road.
Anyway if anybody knows this car, feel free to chime in, and welcom Gregor back into the driver seat of a packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.15 KB)
657_51def109ebf7a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (29.18 KB)
657_51def115cf0af.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2013/7/11 12:53
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Re: Gregor's neue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
This is one for the books! A new Packard cell in Germany.
Mike, is the missing hydraulic pump the problem or the the matter of hydraulic windows by itself?

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:03
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
There might be another way to go.One of the members of my local car club converted his 41 Packard from Hydraulic to 12 volt electric motors.He put a 12 volt battery in the trunk to run them.They are not used very often so the battery is usually fine for the whole season.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The problem is a new hydraulic pump would be really expensive, and the hydraulic windows are good when they work, but have lots of places to leak and make problems. I think with the engine and trans there will be enough to take care of. Hand crank windows don't give too much trouble.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:15
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One problem worth considering with converting is to do it properly you will also need to find new or reupholster the existing door panels. The switches are up high and will leave a hole and most likely an impression on the fabric if removed. The knob is lower near the handle so you will have to make another hole there.

If it's a standard factory system, it will also have hydraulic front seat adjust so you will need to find a manual seat base and mechanism. IIRC, you will also have the same hole problem between switch and manual lever location.

Time you add up the incidentals, perhaps a pump might not look so expensive.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 14:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I think I saw a hydraulic pump for these on e-bay. It was in the "C-frame ect.ect.ect." the BigKev created. Don't recall the price/condition. If you look it up, give yourself lots of time as there is over 5,000 items.

Good Luck. Glad that Patrician found a good home - from what I saw of the item, it deserves it.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:09
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here's an idea. Convert to electric operated windows and use the original switches.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/11 17:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information

Posted on: 2013/7/11 17:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Here's an idea. Convert to electric operated windows and use the original switches.

(o{}o)

Good idea but easier said than done on the postwar hydraulic switches. Because of the way internal contacts are molded, up has both pump and cylinder solenoid activated together while down only has the cylinder solenoid active. Don't see an easy way to split them so only one or the other terminal is active.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Oh damn! Thanks Howard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved