Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55-56 rocker arms
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
could not find anything on this,

i need to clean my rockers i was looking at them, and i see different numbers in the shafts ,

the book says odd for one side even for another, \\ xxx71 right side,,,xxx70 left side,,

so i need to take it apart right???

thanks,,

Posted on: 2013/7/4 22:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 rocker arms
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There were several running changes during 1955 to rocker shaft oil holes to better regulate oil control, you might check the TSBs and Service Counselors for more information. In particular see 55T-16 of March 28, 1955, 55T-19 of May 23rd, and 55T-35 of July 25th.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks dave, hope i can find them!,,

Posted on: 2013/7/5 12:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i think i got them,

they changed numbers,

and then they plugged the holes,,,

but i have mixed numbers on the shaft,,70,,71,, so i am sure i need to change that..

Posted on: 2013/7/5 13:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Riki -

I think you have the sequence of events confused, but it is a confusing situation

55 MAR 28: STB 55T-16 recommends plugging eight (3/32") holes in rocker shafts to improve oil control at intake valve stems. (Holes were also being plugged for vehicle production, then eliminated entirely from shafts.)

55 MAY 23: STB 55T-19 plugging rocker shafts is reiterated as part of an approach for complaints of excessive oil consumption, but with a more detailed service procedure.

55 JUL 25: STB 55T-35 rescinds recommendation to plug shafts in favor of new design for procuction, where those holes have been reinstated (now at 1/16") AND replace any worn rocker levers and push rods.

Part numbers for rocker levers are a separate, but related issue, which arose the following year.

56 MAR 14: S-P P&A Division letter orders an exchange return of existing dealer stock of V8 rocker levers, but with no explanation:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?413

56 MAR 15: Memo to Zone Offices (not available in this archive) advises premature wear of rocker levers at pushrod end was due to an inconsistent hardening process; new P/Ns were issued for rechecked and qualified parts.

Of course, you will have a mix of "...70" and "...71" levers on either shaft, canted left and right.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Brain,

thanks,

now i confused big time,, so you can have 70-71 on same shaft, no matter if its left or right shaft?

i will say my hole on rocker are bigger than a 1/16th.,, spent the day machining those seals that go in bracket, packard calls then dowels,

no gap in these.

went out and looked mine are 440's,,must be off an exe, we had, i think my 56 400 were rusted. have no idea where they are at now,, somewhere~

Posted on: 2013/7/5 23:36
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps this will help the confusion.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.33 KB)
209_51d81d2046b43.jpg 368X531 px

Posted on: 2013/7/6 8:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi, howard,

ok, so they are not talking about driver side,, pass side, right ,,left,,

the left ,,, right ,, is by valve,,

Packard,,

Posted on: 2013/7/6 9:58
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved