Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 236

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

352/374 SBC Comparison
Just popping in
Just popping in

345DeSoto
See User information
New guy here. How do the Packard 352/374 engines stack up against the small block Chevy engines, performance wise? If we had the Packard and Chevy engines equally equiped, in equal weight cars cars? And do the Packards have the ability to respond to performance modifications as the Chevy small block? I know this is a BROAD question, but if I'm going to go with the Packard engine, I need to have some idea. Thanks, guys...

Posted on: 2013/7/28 20:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 352/374 SBC Comparison
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
If you are talking the same year of production, then there is no comparison. In 1955 Packard (352CID) had a max of 275HP whereas SBC (265 CID) was 195HP. In 1956 Packard (374) had a max of 310HP whereas SBC (still 265CID) was 225HP. Of course, after that, development on the Packard V-8 ceased although it was ultimately intended for 500CID displacement.

See this page from my website for details:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/Panther/engine3.html

As far as ability to respond to performance mods, definitely yes Packard could do as well as the SBC. See the above website regarding mods to 374 Panther engine for examples. How far do you want to go? Bring your (fat) wallet.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:18
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I wouldn't waste my time trying to hot rod a Packard V-8.

It's just a plain Jane OHV without the greatest engineering.

It's also a big block. If you want to hotrod something different why not get a hold of an Edsel engine. Their advertising read as follows: "They're the industry's biggest and the best". Of course they weren't, but 410cuin isn't bad and it's a Y-block whereas the Packard is a shallow block with lots of main bearing flex.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I wouldn't waste my time trying to hot rod a Packard V-8.

It's just a plain Jane OHV without the greatest engineering.

Them's fightin' words Tim. You bring on any block and heads cast in 1955 and we'll run a Packard V8 head's up and probably win.

That the SBC has sixty years of aftermarket and racing support can't be overcome. As long as it's '55 iron, they wouldn't have a chance.

There was no such thing as an Edsel engine, just same-old Ford/Mercury/Lincoln 6-cyls, Y-block, FE and MELs.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Owning a Packard is supposed to be relaxing. It isn't a sports car or a dragster, so why bother.

Mine is reliable (usually) which is what I want; I can keep up with the usual tollway traffic which is about all I ask for.

If you want a hot rod, get a SBC.....

No hostility intended, but I do not "get" the why.....

Posted on: 2013/7/28 23:05
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Owning a Packard is supposed to be relaxing. It isn't a sports car or a dragster, so why bother.

Pat, you are entitled to your opinion and I'll defend to the death your right to write it.

On the other hand, some of us came to the Packard V8 through the 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. With the Packard V8 in the slim, light Studebaker body, it was the quickest and fastest car sold in 1956.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/7/28 23:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Pat Green Quote:

Tell that to Everett Hatch, back in the day: Big Bad Clipper Almost 98MPH at 4575LB! 1/4-mile speed in 1957. This calculates to 308HP rear wheel, 342HP flywheel.

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/HRM195708A.html

Now restored and owned by Paul Delaney:
Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/29 0:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

345DeSoto
See User information
WHOA guys!...I'm doing a 56 Golden Hawk. I'm NOT looking to make it into a Hot Rod, just want to maximize the engine it came with....thus, my newbie question...

Posted on: 2013/7/29 7:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
345DeSoto, welcome to PackardInfo.com.
Just ignore the background noises and keep us posted on your Golden Hawk project.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 7:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
345Desoto Quote:
WHOA guys!...I'm doing a 56 Golden Hawk. I'm NOT looking to make it into a Hot Rod, just want to maximize the engine it came with....thus, my newbie question...

No sweat. My 2nd post wasn't responding to your post, but to Pat Green's post.

BTW, I've always wanted a 56J. Also, some of the guys from that club have installed the Olds oil pump conversion in their 56Js.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/29 9:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved