Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 110 dash and wiring
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

REverett
See User information
After running the engine while tuning the carb, etc. I notice smoke coming out from behind the dash (It's a woody wagon). Had a look and although I can't see exactly where it is coming from I noticed the wiper motor is running all the time (Someone has disconnected the arm to the wiper linkage so they don't operate). Found many bad connection wires and some simply not connected to anything.

I'm looking for a tip to removing the dash so I can expose everything in front of me in order to research the location of the smoke.

Also, is there a wire harness available or at least partial. It is a real mess back there.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 14:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 110 dash and wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Remove the metal trim around the front window. You will see a number of screws along the top of the dash. Remove them and one or two nuts on the far corners of the bottom side of the dash. All of this is much easier if you remove the front seat cushion and sit on a pillow. Photo everything, bag and label the parts. Get some paper tags from Office Depot and label each wire before you disconnect it. Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start work. You will need to remove the oil pressure line from the back of the gauge and the speedometer cable. It's actually not hard to do compared to some of the later cars. This is also a good time to redo the wood graining and replace all of the light bulbs. Let me know if you want photos of a 39 dash - it isn't much different other than the radio.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Mr. Grubbs stated it very well. I think I would add removing the radio before starting the other work.

Rich

Posted on: 2013/8/14 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
You asked about a wiring harness for your 1941:

You need to contact the PAC Roster Keeper for the 1941s. Not only is he the Roster Keeper but he also manufactures the wiring harness for a number of Packards. I have one of his harnesses in my 1941 convertible sedan and have never had a problem. No sparks, no smoke, no nothing.

J.P. McVicker
P.O. Box 117
Tiger, GA 30576
(706) 782-2344
e-mail: jpmcvicker@windstream.net

Additionally, there is a separate Roster Keeper for Hercules-bodied station wagons. Check on the PAC websitehttp://www.packardclub.org/

Best of luck. -Roger--

Posted on: 2013/8/15 9:05
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Rich is correct on removing the radio from the dash first. The 41 radio is a one piece unit and is fairly heavy, whereas my 39 had the two part radio with the lower portion missing. Thanks for catching that Rich!

Posted on: 2013/8/15 14:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved