Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Whats wrong here?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just a little general education as I see this all the time.

This is a lower bellhousing from a 56 Carrybeans that is in for a tranny just the moment. You might be able to see in the photo that the machined mating surfaces have thick gobs of paint on them plus rust and debris. The engine has the same goober where this bolts on.

This may seem incredibly anal, but in precision rotating machinery with tight clearances, little things mean a lot. This housing can not sit flat to the bottom surface of the engine because of the goober wedged between. That throws off the rear plane of the engine where the tranny bolts on. That causes an alignment problem for the input and reactor shafts which speeds wear of the supporting bushings.

The effect may be slight but why speed the demise of a transmission unnecessarily? The lower bellhousing on most Packards is a precision part of the mechanism and not just a cover.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.70 KB)
618_526c6e2eca2ad.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/26 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Whats wrong here?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
Thank you. Point made and taken!

Posted on: 2013/10/26 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 bell fits so tite on dowels i have to use slide hammer from side to side to get it off. Unless u have a better way.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 21:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
When they are really tight, I take a pin punch and just punch the dowels straight up and out. Before reassembly I put the dowels back in from the bottom. They seem to be a transition rather than a press fit, so come out without much struggle.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 10:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good reminder, Ross. This as found on my spare 374 engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.44 KB)
177_526d3965702d9.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (164.61 KB)
177_526d39999f5de.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/27 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Is it a good part or bad?

Posted on: 2013/10/27 12:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I like the way they had to paint inside the thing.

Fact of the matter is that if those surfaces are not flush it can distort the cylinder bores up to .003. The trans probably won't be affected as much provided the torque converter is pulled against the flex plate by hand. It's the motor that is affected by that stuff as well as by the use of air tools.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 13:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is it a good part or bad?

Pat, if you look at the picture you'll see it's broken! If you look at Ross' picture you'll see where it broke from.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I happened to read this yesterday and when I pulled my engine today and dropped the lower bell, I too had paint all splashed inside. You could see where the fly wheel actually was rubbing the top left bell. There is not a lot of clearance in there.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 19:04
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are u sure the scuffing is due to the CURRENT flywheel or from some previous malodie????? if due to current flywheel then there should be damage on it.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 20:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved