Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

White grease ??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious what grease others are using for things that slide but are typically inaccessible -- like inner door lock and window regulator parts. I want something that will last or lubricate longer than a few months.

Manuals say use grease or white grease so I take that to mean something like Lubriplate. I removed some components from the door this morning and found remnants of something that might have been white grease. It had dried and was hard with no lube abilities left at all. No idea if original or redone at some point but at any rate, failure is understandable after many years. What is a bit concerning is I had done a trunk lock several months ago using white lithium grease which I think might be the same as Lubriplate. Checked and found it has already started to turn brown and is on the way to sticky. I can think it is not long before that grease will have minimal lubricating ability.

Suggestions for a long term years and not months grease??

Posted on: 2014/1/3 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: White grease ??
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
HH.

lubriplate does get hard, might want to add an oil of your choice and mix it up,

or try a mix of anti seize ..mixed with grease , some silicone brake fluid ,,,

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The only grease i have ever used on anything pf importance is Lubriplate brand. There are at least two different formulations. Maybe as many as four. Google it for descriptions maybe.

Door locks, speedo cables allof it. To the best of my knowledge and memmory the Lubriplate was used exclusively at GM TEC center, chev R&D and the hi-perf group 1950's thru 1980's includong wheel bearings.

I have a few vehicles here and other applications that had the Lubriplate brand of grease to over 40 years ago. Maybe some slight stickness and darkening that i can only atribute to dirt contamination over the many years.

For some applicatipns use a brush to apply.

I've tried graphite once in a while but prefer the Lubriplate brand. Not sure about other brands. Lubriplte does tend to be expensive as i understand it but i havnt had to buy any in many years as i have a good supply of it. Dwindling fast tho.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Lubriplate is kinda stiff, right out of the can, but keep in mind that it has a thixotropic character - that is, it gets a little thinner as it is worked.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hh.

i am using lubriplate 105 for assembly i do mix in a metal cond. oil ..

but, it is creamy ,,,

i call my stuff mayonnaise ,,,which when started will be (tossed) like a salad ...

Attach file:

jpg  (94.77 KB)
4498_52c75d089e2cc.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/1/3 20:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Lubriplate Company has a full line of products and is unique by offering them retail. For example:

Lubriplate 100 - Calcium based white grease NLGI 00

105 - Motor assembly white grease NLGI 0

107 - Calcium based white grease NLGI #1

110 - Calcium based white grease NLGI #2.5

115 - Heavy Calcium white grease NLGI #4

105 and 107 are most like the window regulator and door hinge stuff. You can get 105 over the counter at NAPA.

110 is like what Ford used to use on brake parts and is sold as such

115 is like a heavy cup grease used on water pump shafts and distributors

I also use Pennzoil 705 (lithium white grease) and buy it whenever it pops up in can form. CRC has a white grease you can get through NAPA.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 23:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Tim, that is helpful to have them listed and the situations you can use them in.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 1:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Large globs of grease in engine assembly is not necessary and dangeroud for plugging oil galleries. Need ONLY a slight film of grease on parts.

Never pack a oil pump. There are other wayd to prime it if needed.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 8:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Lubriplate 105 is thin enough to avoid that problem. If the motor is to be started immediately then the pump need only be primed with oil, but if it is going to sit the grease is fine. It doesn't have to be packed, only primed with lube and turned by hand to push the excess through the output side.

On the Senior Packard Eights this is not necessary because the pump in submerged in oil. Only when Packard moved the pump above the oil level did they start having oil pump problems. Another case of engineering displacing common sense and ahead of its time. Today that is the rule rather than the exception.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 8:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a personal opinion but I think it makes the most sense to use an assembly lube that's specifically designed for that purpose rather than some other material. Not that whatever is chosen may not perform OK, it just isn't worth saving a couple of dollars after all the expense of a rebuild. On oil pumps, I don't pack them with grease, I just flood the empty cavities with GL-1 gear oil or SAE50 motor oil.

Back to the original question, HH56, you might consider StaLube SL3303 or equivalent for those areas you were asking about, it's a graphite and Teflon-fortified moly grease and I've used it a lot on metal-to-metal contacts like mechanical brake cables, brake cams and shoe tips, etc. and even years later it still seems to retain it's original characteristics.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 10:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved