Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Determining overdrive or not!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Great advice about wiring harness purchase. The price quote from Potomac Packard was A-OK, but raised a question.

My Packard is a 1949 Standard 8 with the 288 motor. When I was asked about additional wiring options the issue of a standard 3 speed transmission without overdrive and one with overdrive came up.

Apparently there are differences in a wiring harness for a standard transmission and one with overdrive.

My question: "How do I determine if my 1949 Packard has overdrive or does not have overdrive???"

I have ask that my future purchase wiring harness add on wiring for my electric fuel pump near the gas tank and wiring for a 6 volt electric fan for the radiator.

My second question: "What other wiring additions to the harness should I request???"

Thanking all in advance for comments.

P. S. Fred Puhn, talked to Don at Don's Starters and Alternators re: genernator. He was very informative and helpful. Many thanks for your posting this information.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2014/2/19 9:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Determining overdrive or not!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Presence of OD should be noted by the under-dash control handle and the relay on the engine side of the cowl but on the chance someone started to add overdrive at a later date and didn't get to these things, the best thing to look for is the actual presence of the OD unit attached to the rear of the transmission.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
As for your O/D question if you have O/D there shoud be a push pull knob under the dash near the steering column and on the firewall an extra voltage regulator looking box.
When I had my front harness made I had 3 extra wires going to the front and 3 extra going to the rear for whatever things I might add later.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 9:35
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
In your previous thread, I was just suggesting new battery cables, not a whole wiring harness. Although if your harness is original, then it is probably a good idea to change it all. Potomac has the battery cables that you need. Good outfit. That's where I bought my harness and cables, and was very happy with the product.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 9:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved