Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 188

Ozstatman, 37Blanche, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shipping a car / vehicle notes from my experience
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Notes from shipping a car:

These are the things I researched while figuring out how to ship a car I purchased. I searched on this site, but there was not a lot of information. I started a new thread and gathered info including members personal experiences. I have created this thread to hopefully help others who are in a similar situation and offer some incite on the process.

First off, I strongly recommend that before you sign any contracts you research the company you are dealing with through the Better Business Bureau website www.bbb.org and also industry specific sites such as www.transportreviews.com. These sites as well as a Google search of the companies name will give you reviews and customers experiences with the company, both good and bad.

Choose the type of carrier you are willing to except, open carrier (exposed to the elements, road debris, vandalism) or an enclosed carrier (more expensive, but vehicle is protected).

Next choose your shipping method. The three main options are to use a shipping broker, go direct with a carrier, or an independent hauler.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:44
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Re: Shipping a car / vehicle notes from my experience
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Brokers: This was the option I choose and can write the most information about. Brokers act like a middleman. Similar to a travel agent booking your travel itinerary. They will gather your information such as the type of car, where it is located and where it is being shipped to.

Is the car operable? Be honest! If the car does not run, the hauler may not have the equipment to load it. If the car is operable, but becomes inoperable (battery dies, car no longer starts) you may be charged an extra fee.

The broker will take your information and then quote you a price. The price consists of a "deposit", which is usually non-refundable. This is actually the brokers fee. The second part of the price is what the carrier earns. The deposit is paid in advance and the balance is given to the driver upon delivery of the vehicle.

It is important to make sure the quote is all inclusive and that there are no additional fees that can be tacked on later. If you agree to use the broker, you are usually "locked in" with their service. You cannot try to get better quotes after you have signed the contract. If you try to cancel after a carrier has been dispatched you will lose your deposit. Read the contract documents VERY CAREFULLY and know what you are agreeing to.

The broker enters the pick up and delivery information into a database that carriers have access to. The broker uses this database to find a carrier willing to deliver the car for the price the broker quoted (less their fee). Many brokers advertise that they will only select carriers that have the proper license and insurance. This is for your protection.

When a carrier is found you will be notified that they have been dispatched and an approximate date for pick up. As the pick up time gets closer, the driver will contact you and tell you when he should arrive. You must be available (or someone you authorize) to meet the driver and give them the keys. An inspection is made of the vehicle before loading and any damage is reported on the bill of lading. The driver and you (or authorized person) sign the bill of lading indicating you agree on the cars condition. Once the car is picked up, the broker's job is done. The rest of the transaction, including insurance claims for damage, is done with the carrier.

The carrier will give you an approximate delivery date and again, will call when close to the destination as to when he will arrive. After unloading, you will inspect the vehicle to make sure there was no damage during transit. IF there is damage, it must be noted on the bill of lading. You will have to contact the carrier's insurance and make a claim. If you wait or do not note the damage on the bill of lading you will probably be out of luck and not have a claim. The driver is paid the balance of the money, usually by cash, money order or cashier's check. Most drivers to not take credit cards so be prepared ahead of time.

Most deliveries are "door to door" meaning the vehicle will be picked up at one location, stay on the trailer throughout the trip and be delivered as close to the address as possible. If you opt for an open carrier, be aware they may send a semi-truck with a giant trailer. The driver must be allowed to travel on all the roads to pick up and deliver the vehicle. If there are rules against semis on the route, an alternate location will need to be found, usually close to the expressway. Keep this in mind and make preparations in case this happens.

Some carriers are not "door to door". They may use terminals to transfer the car from one truck to another. This option can be cheaper, but leaves the vehicle exposed to more potential damage from loading and unloading as well as getting lost in the process.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:46
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Carriers: Going direct with a carrier is a cheaper option and eliminates the middleman (broker). You can use online sites such as www.USHIP.com to create the details of your shipment and how much you are willing to pay to have the vehicle delivered. Carriers will go through your information and make offers or ask questions. The same issues apply as I listed above about having access to the car in case a semi is used. When you deal direct with the carrier, you can hammer out all of the details of the delivery ahead of time. Make sure your price is all inclusive and that there are no additional charges possible. Also insure they have all of the proper insurance and licenses.

You can also call carriers direct for quotes instead of using USHIP. I found it was really difficult to find actual carriers. Google searches usually produced brokers and not the actual carriers.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:46
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Independent haulers: These can be the most reasonably priced, but also the riskiest way to ship a vehicle. Basically these are small owner/operators that have a 1-2 car trailer. They can be open or enclosed. You have to be careful that you are getting a reputable person. Research them very carefully and read all customer experiences you can. Make sure they have insurance that is up to date and they can legally haul your vehicle. Choosing someone without the proper insurance will put you at risk for loss. Haulers illegally hauling vehicles can have your car impounded. If you do choose to use an independent, make sure you get everything in writing. Rely on people you know for their experience with the hauler. Many of these independents to an outstanding job. You just need to do your research first.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:47
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I hope this information helps and gives you some things to consider when you need to ship a vehicle.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:47
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I took possession of my 38 super eight today, and intercity shipped it from door to door for less than $1/mile.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Charles,

Thanks for posting that info, I'm sure it'll be of help to others when/if they need to ship a Packard.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Would you recommend the carrier you used? Thanks for the input

Posted on: 2014/5/12 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Yes I would recommend them. Very professional driver, and very meticulous about his cargo and his equipment.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 21:45
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved