Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
265 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 265

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packard run - not quite!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Today the Packard Club in Sydney went on it's monthly run, this time to the Sydney Tramway Museum at Loftus south of Sydney.
Link to the museum website -http://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au/

The run was organised by Noel as he lives on the south side. This came about because he complained to the Events Director that ALL the runs were on the northside and was told if he wanted one on the southside to organise it himself, and he did! He also did one last year, see link -https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=368&forum=4

All started well, except for the weather, it was wet and miserable. Met at 9:30am at McDonalds Sylvania, which is on the way to Loftus for us northsiders. Unfortunately, because of the weather and some members with other commitments, only 4 Packards made it that far. And on the way to Sylvania there had been some bumping from 'under' the car which I put down to the condition of the roads and when I checked underneath in the McDonalds carpark couldn't see anything amiss. And Kath said to the others, while I was buying coffee, that she had heard a rattling sound too! So at 10:00am it was into convoy mode with Noel leading the way in his '39 120 Sedan followed by Wade and Gina in their '37 Super 8 LHD Sedan, Jeff in his '52 200 Sedan and yours truly with Kath in the '38 Eight Sedan and back onto the highway. Had gone less than 1km, a bit over 1/2 a mile, when the banging started again but this time it was very very noticeable and accompanied by loss of full steering control. Fortunately the convoy was in the inside lane and I was able to pull into a side street straight away, but being "Tail-end Charlie" and although honking the horn and flashing the headlights, lost the others. Is that really the term to use when old yellow 6V headlights are involved?

Pulled up without drama and then on to the cell phone and rang Wade. Apparently they had noticed our plight and pulled over but because of the highway there wasn't an easy way for the group to turn round and come back to lend support. I'd been lucky there was a street which I could pull into! Not to worry, I said I'd call the NRMA our state motorist assistance organisation, while the convoy carried on to the Museum and that I would call them later to update the situation. Had another look under the '38 at this stage and although I could see the left front wheel was skewiff, leaning out at the top and touching the front fender lip, couldn't see or feel anything broken or hanging loose but the wheel did rock like the king pin was shot. Rang the NRMA who organised a tilt tray truck to be there in 60 minutes. My NRMA coverage on the '38 gives me 20kms free towing with additional kms over 20 chargeable at AU$4.40/km. While waiting for the tilt tray to arrive rang Wade who'd arrived at the museum and my son Greg so he could come and pick up Kath for when I accompanied the tilt tray back to Wade's workshop at West Ryde. Wade gave me the phone number of John from the workshop so I could arrange with him for the gates to the workshop to be unlocked so the '38 wasn't left in the street overnight. And Greg started on his motherly rescue mission. However before Greg arrived the tilt tray did and while the '38 was being loaded up I rang Greg to discover he still had a fair way to travel. Cancelled those plans and had Greg return home to await further instructions while Kath and I had our first, and I hope last ride, in a UD diesel 6 speed tilt tray truck.

Must say that Michael, the tilt tray driver, when he first saw the left front wheel and its position was concerned it could damage the fender or body as the '38 was hauled onto the tilt tray. As I felt the '38 was driveable, I offered and drove it onto the tray, so that Michael only had to haul it about another foot to balance it up and secure it. On arriving at the workshop driveway found John had been true to his word and unlocked the padlock but left it in the gates. After opening the gates Michael maneuvered the truck so the '38 could be winched back into a parking slot. While I was at the '38's wheel Michael was operating the cable slowly letting the '38 roll back when he called out "Can you hear that?" I couldn't, and got out to talk with Michael and while out he let the car roll back a bit further and then I heard it a rattling sound coming from the left front hubcap! So Kath was right it was rattling! Michael said it might be that the wheel bearing had "collapsed" but when he cracked off the hubcap the wheel bearing was fine and 3 free rolling lug nuts and 2 very, very, very loose lug nuts were the obvious culprits! I'd rung Greg when we arrived at the workshop and he and girlfriend Emma arrived at this point to see Dad jacking up the left front wheel so the lug nuts could be aligned and tightened. I suspect that Col, when he did the front fender repair and respray, didn't properly tighten the lug nuts on the left front wheel. So also checked the right front and rear lug nuts, as he worked on those fenders as well, but they were all tight.

Upshot of it all was, by the time it was all sorted out, we'd missed what I believe was a pleasant run because now the rain had cleared to a nice sunny day. We also had the pleasure of the UD tilt tray ride, the ignominy of the '38 needing that kind of transportation, the $44.00 it cost for the 10kms over and above my allowed 20kms, having our picnic lunch on the kitchen table, and a close call with what could have been a very dangerous situation if the wheel had parted ways with the '38. And I was able to ring Wade and tell him one word "Relax" as I'm sure he had visions of another Packard, just as I did, needing his attention in the workshop. And he told me the group, having been joined by Pam and Barry in their '35 1200 7 Pass Sedan, was having a good time at the Tramway Museum.

More pic's are in the Picasa album, link below
http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadeSWorkshopSept08#

Attach file:

jpg  (52.25 KB)
226_48cca9730a9f4.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (31.02 KB)
226_48cca987ea146.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (66.84 KB)
226_48ccaa7e992d4.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (47.87 KB)
226_48ccaa98c1f94.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (46.07 KB)
226_48ccaaae1d399.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (25.23 KB)
226_48ccaabd8bf95.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2008/9/14 1:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard run - not quite!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sounds like you have my luck and weather to boot!

BTW, in the spirit of the "Spell Checker" thread, and your complaint about Aus Vs. American, here in the U.S. a "tilt tray" is a "rollback". This terminology stems from the fact that the "tray" or "bed" as we call it, "rolls back" to the ground. I won't even get into a "winch truck" or "wrecker" just yet!

Posted on: 2008/9/14 3:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm often amazed at how often this happens in our hobby, I can think of perhaps a dozen instances in the last handful of years, just with people I know or meet on tour. I guess one reason may be we tinker with our cars a lot, remove wheels often, and our memories (at least mine) isn't what it used to be. Another reason cited frequently is with powder-coated wheels. At least one of the firms that does this cautions you that the coating relaxes (compresses) slightly with time, and recommends that you always retighten several times after installing. In the case cited above, the best of luck is no accident or personal injury, no real damage to speak of, and hopefully the threaded inserts in the drum weren't damaged.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:........Another reason cited frequently is with powder-coated wheels. At least one of the firms that does this cautions you that the coating relaxes (compresses) slightly with time, and recommends that you always retighten several times after installing. In the case cited above, the best of luck is no accident or personal injury, no real damage to speak of, and hopefully the threaded inserts in the drum weren't damaged.

Dave,

When speaking to Wade after arriving home yesterday he also advised that re-painted wheels can experience this problem and advised a thorough cleaning of the wheel centre lug nut surfaces so that metal to metal contact is made. I doubt that's the case here as the wheels were re-painted about 20 years ago. I will however re-check everything including the threaded inserts to ensure all's well and there is no repeat of what could have been quite a nasty incident. I posted the story as much as a warning to others as well as part of my Packard journey and experiences.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 15:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Mal

Glad it was a simple fix and not a complete wheel loss for you. Sorry you missed the South side tour. As they say in baseball, "Maybe next year."

I drove my Clipper to the repair shop this winter, heard a terrible popping on a right turn. When I got to the shop and the mechanic got it on the hoist, we found the front driver wheel with loose lug bolts. Unfortunately, I was the last guy to change that tire, so I had to look in the mirror and talk to myself.

As one not used to regularly doing mechanical work, I find I have to double-triple-check my own work before I test drive. Working on my Packard in the evenings, I sometimes forget what I did /did not do previously.

We expect better when we pay others to do the work. But sometimes ...

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/14 17:58
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
When I was 19 and driving my 1948 Packard Eight fastback, I took the back way up to a friend's house, past the Pike's Trail marker that's West of Delphos, Ks. (for those who are familiar with the territory, yeah right!!) There's quite a steep hill off of that area around the marker, with 50 ft dropoffs to one side. Anyways, when I pulled into his driveway, I had to make a sharp turn to the right, and the driver's front wheel almost fell off! I head the same clunking sound that you heard Mal, and popped the hubcap off to find two broken lug studs, and three VERY worn lug studs! I used the best stud that was left, and robbed one off of the other three wheels to get me home. I shudder to think what might have happened if that wheel had fallen off coming down that hill, with that 50' drop to the bottom!

Sad thing is, it wasn't two months later that I wrecked the car, when the front brakes locked up on the passenger's side wheel, pulling me sideways in the road, and rolling the car at least twice, before coming to a stop in a field, all four wheels on the ground, and me still inside, with both doors open! "Luck be a lady tonight..."

All this made me check, recheck, and recheck again lugnuts after a wheel has been removed and replaced. I still have the remnants of those wheel studs to remind me of that trip.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 23:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Mal,
Your wheel 'Mal-function' seems to have started some 'true confessions' from some of us less 'perfected' wrench-monkeys!
DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/16 0:16
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You know, I just love the phrase "Mal-function"!!

Posted on: 2008/9/16 1:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

41ParPack wrote: Mal
Your wheel 'Mal-function'......DanL

Quote:
Turbopackman wrote:You know, I just love the phrase "Mal-function"!!

Thanks Dan & Eric,

That's two, else like to join the chorus?

Posted on: 2008/9/16 2:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Dan, I think we better be careful, or things could go "De mal en peor" LOL!

Posted on: 2008/9/16 3:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved