Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

BigKev, cooldude980, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch and Brake Arm Rubber Seals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

What is the proper way to install the rubber bellow like seals on the clutch and brake levers? Do the seals point inward toward the passenger compartment or do they point downward toward the engine bay? Thanks again for all your help!

Posted on: 2015/7/14 11:20
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch and Brake Arm Rubber Seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Easiest way I've found is to remove the pedal pad top support and toe plate leaving just the arm. I know there are some who remove the pad support and manage to get the thing thru the holes without removing the plate but it is only a half dozen screws to remove it and less risk of damaging the seals. Lube the seal with silicone or other rubber safe lube and slide it down the arm so the narrow neck portion rests on a flat spot on the pedal at the base of the curved arm. Once the toe plate is back in position the wide flange will be pointing upward so it can cover the large hole in the plate from the bottom. The small bellows like arrangement will allow for some tilt yet keep the seal tightly pressed against the plate when the pedal is up.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Howard,

THANKS for the information...I know I can always count on you!!!

Here are two pictures of the brake pedal as viewed from the engine side of the dash panel. Did I install them correctly?

The problem is that the seals do not seem to stay attached to the firewall holes. Are they supposed to be glued to the firewall holes? If so what glue do you recommend (3M Trim Adhesive)?

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (22.66 KB)
84982_55a55fa14d93e.jpg 252X448 px

jpg  (22.43 KB)
84982_55a55fb2e7901.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/7/14 14:15
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe they are 180 out. Narrow end needs to rest on that flat area of the pedal. Here is a photo from the parts manual. The seal is provided by the large flat rubber surface pushing against the bottom of the plate and covering the hole

Attach file:

jpg  (25.58 KB)
209_55a561f2a2181.jpg 477X393 px

Posted on: 2015/7/14 14:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks...I could not find that picture. The OEM ones had long since departed the car.

It looks like when installed in the manner described in the manual then the seals will ride up and down on the lever and when the pedal is pushed down the oval opening in the firewall will be uncovered.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/7/14 15:06
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill,

From what I can see in Howard's pic from the parts manual, there is a section at the bottom of the seal which doesn't appear to be present on the seal in your first pic. Looks like that part of the seal would fit into the toe plate and prevent the seal from travelling with the action of the pedal arm.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 16:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe anything stays in the hole -- at least I've never seen any sign of anything. The repros from Steele appear to have the seal travel with the pedal and only seals when the pedals are relaxed.

There is a small and thin single fold bellows like portion in the rubber between the narrow neck end and the wide flat end. When the pedal is up the seal is made by the flat spot on the pedal pushing and collapsing the bellows as it presses the wide flat portion into the toe plate covering the hole. When the pedal is depressed, don't believe anything makes a seal. With luck the opening around the arm is fairly small and pedals don't stay down long enough for much air to get thru.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 17:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I definitely have my seals installed upside down as per the photo.

I have the Steele reproductions and they do look shorter (kinda like they are missing the small end) than the ones in the photo.

Yes...that certainly looks to be the case...when the pedal is pushed down the rubber seal travels down with the pedal and exposes the air gap.

Seems to be kinda a strange design...because when sitting at a stop light for example the brake pedal will be down and if there is blow by the gasses from the road draft tube could enter the car. 1940s technology...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/7/15 21:08
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved