Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954? radiator- does anyone know what this is from?
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I acquired a Packard radiator in a bunch of parts. It is the same height as my 1953 and 1954 radiators but is 2" narrower. The mounting bracket on the passenger side is extra wide so that the mounting holes line up with the standard Packard radiator support. See the attached picture.

"54 Packard" was written on the radiator but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Does anyone have any idea what this came out of? I can't use it but I would like to know who could.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (286.75 KB)
1136_55d28c353d3b6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/8/17 20:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954? radiator- does anyone know what this is from?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most likely for the small engine base model car but it also could be mislabeled and actually a Korean war year radiator where they had to conserve material. The radiators for those war years were smaller and made of thinner material somewhat compensated for by a larger fan. Is there an embossed tag that has a mfg or a part number on one of the tanks. If you find a number it should be possible to determine the use.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 20:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
I have heard the rumor often repeated that the Korean War radiators were thinner material compensated for with the larger fan, but I've never seen an example of a Korean War radiator next to one that hadn't been lightened/cheapened. I would figure my 52 would have whatever modifications were being performed during the war (it certainly had that lousy chrome), but my radiator looks just like the ones for the later cars. What are the part numbers or other identifying marks that denote one of these war radiators?

Posted on: 2015/8/18 0:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have heard the rumor often repeated that the Korean War radiators were thinner material compensated for with the larger fan,...

Not a rumor, it's mentioned in either the Service Counselors or Technical Service Bulletins. If you locate the radiator manufacturer's tag (probably McCord or Modine, soldered to the radiator) that will lead you to the specifics.

Posted on: 2015/8/18 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The radiator is marked for a 1954 Packard. Korean War hostilities ceased in July 1953. Were there still material shortages afterwords, or is the radiator marked incorrectly? Maybe it was an early production and the parts stream for these cars began when shortages still existed. Maybe I just answered my own question.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/18 15:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
The number on the radiator is 1A5453, It is also embossed with "Modine" and "P10 53"

Posted on: 2015/8/19 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the "10 53" is a Modine manufacturing date code, suggesting it's for a 1954 model. I think I can check on the other number but it might be much quicker if owners of various 1954 models check the number on their cars for you. The smallest engined 1954 model (5400 and 5433) had its own radiator and logic might suggest it would be the smallest of the 54 radiators.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 13:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved