Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 78

54packpac, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pros and cons on exhaust manifold sealant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I'm about to reinstall my intake/exhaust manifold and the gaskets I have are those critters with the metal in between two layers of who knows what kind of compound. I've heard talk about using some high temp goop like ultra copper or the like on the gaskets. Anyone have any thoughts? Also it was suggested that I loosen the three bolts that hold the intake and exhaust together (with a new gasket of course) then after tightening down the manifold tighten the bolts. Again your thoughts.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 15:17
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Re: Pros and cons on exhaust manifold sealant
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do not use sealant on manifold gaskets. Stop and think about it for a minute - the exhaust manifold gets much hotter than the engine block and thus expands to a greater length when hot than the block does; thus there is an ever-so-minute movement of the manifold against the gasket surfaces especially at the extreme ends as the engine heats up and cools down so a sealant is not appropriate. For this same reason torque of the manifold fasteners is important.

If you had the manifold surfaces, both intake and exhaust, surface planed as an assembled unit then you can bolt it directly to the block as as a unit. If you did not, then best practice is to loosen the hot box bolts, attach the manifolds, and then tighten the hot box bolts.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
What is the recommended torque?

Posted on: 2015/12/9 16:03
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not aware of torque specs for 1938 but given the engine similarity I'd use the spec for the post-war 288 engine, assuming the fasteners have the same thread size.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Which is?

Posted on: 2015/12/9 17:38
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is any help, here are the complete engine torque specs from the 46-50 manual. As O_D mentioned, if the bolt sizes are the same I would think the torque specs would be similar if not the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.46 KB)
209_5668aec0d1715.jpg 920X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/12/9 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't know offhand but that shop manual is on line here so you can look it up for yourself.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 17:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved