Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

58survivor, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A few Oopsies
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For those of you with lifts in your garage------@#$% happens.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: A few Oopsies
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Gravity sucks.....sometimes

Posted on: 2016/2/24 18:08
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yup, gravity sucks. One cannot be too careful around lifts of any kinds whether they be bumper jacks, floor jacks, jack stands or 2/4 poster lifts.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/2/24 21:40
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
About 50 years ago drove with mates to a drag meet at Surfers Paradise and back over a weekend, about 500 miles each way. Went in a '55 Ford Customline Sedan towing a trailer with a mates Holden 6 cyl powered dragster aboard. The mate who owned the Customline put it up on a hoist before we left and it slipped off landing on it's left side. Not much apparent damage, just scrapes and slightly dented panels on that side. On the return trip, having left straight after the drag meet, early the next morning I'm driving at about 75mph there's a bang and the left rear of the car descends to the road and no brakes! Finally pulled up by the side of the highway. What had happened was the left rear axle had broken, obviously it didn't take kindly to the hoist accident. We pool our money and one of the mates hitchhikes into the next big town, Coffs Harbour. There he meets with the owner of the Customline and the dragster at the airport. He was flying back to Sydney with his sponsor, the proprietor of Carburettor Service Company, in a light plane! Us poor smucks, aka the pit crew, having to bring the cars home! The mate collects more money from the owner and heads to a wrecking yard where he buys an axle, rear brake drum and backing plate unit complete with cylinder and brake shoes. These are placed in a sack and he hitchhikes back to the stranded Customline. Mind you it was one of the hottest days I've ever experienced, a blazing hot Aussie summer day on a highway through a eucalyptus forest with little shade. So while waiting for the spares to arrive I hitchhiked about 20 miles back the other way to a gas station and bought bottles of softdrink(water didn't come in bottles then) and all the sandwiches they had. Hitchhiked back where the food and liquids were consumed and waited and waited. About the middle of the afternoon, the spare parts arrive and seeing that 3 out of the 5 guys were mechanics I was able to sit back and observe the repairs being made. However, once the Customline was up and running again, because the other guys were complaining of fatigue being too tired, poor little darlings, I was again the driver and took up from where I'd left off earlier. Ahhhhhh.....those were the days.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 0:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Like the cowboy philosopher/comic Will Rogers once said: Things are always funny when they happen to someone else.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
In the 70's I worked for a VW, Porsche, Audi dealer in town.
We were really busy in the shop and had lots of new cars that came in one evening. As usual they would put the new cars in the service bays until the PDI (Post dealer inspection) is completed. None of the service guys were there. We left the customer cars inside at night usually parked over the lift but not raised.

Well the sales guys didn't know anything. They raised the customer cars on the lifts and parked the new cars underneath. By morning a couple of the lifts with bad air seals had settled on top of the new cars. Of course the one Porsche on the lift not only crushed the car below it, but also fell of the lift! Wish I had a camera back then.

I would open the shop 1st thing. My phone call: "Hey Doug! you never going to believe what happened!" Oops

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:28
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I rather liked the first photo with the blue whatever squashed against the roof of the garage. They just don't make cars like they used to when they crush like cans but at any rate that would have been my first oops had I even considered a lift.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 13:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved