Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 195

Michaelg-twelve, Packard Don, JohnCB, William Grosz, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New potential Packard owner (In the UK) with a Gearbox Question
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ash
See User information
Hi and apologies for jumping straight in with a question before I've introduced myself but I am looking on Saturday to possibly purchase a 1955 Clipper Custom Constellation which i'm told by the seller will not go into low ratio and is difficult to get into reverse. I know the Twin Ultramatics have issues as I've read quite a bit about them over the last day or so but wondered if anyone has any ideas as to the likely cause and if its a simple ish fix or a full rebuild (obviously i know its hard to tell but still hoping for some advice)

Thanks

Ashley

Posted on: 2016/9/1 3:46
 Top  Print   

Re: New potential Packard owner (In the UK) with a Gearbox Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ash,

to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your query.

However, if you purchase the '55 Clipper Custom Constellation I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 3:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There are two possible roots to this problem. First, the 55 shifter is rather sloppy at the best of times, and much worse if it has ever been forced. When you try out the car with the engine running, pull the shift lever to you and then slowly try to work it step by step through its positions beginning in Park ,Neutral, 'D (often referred to as high), D' (Drive), Low, Reverse. With the engine at tickover you should feel something engage when you come to 'D, should feel a slight rearrangement take place when you hit D', no change moving to Low, and another rearrangement when you touch R. Of course the car should move forward in all three forward positions.

If the selector is really out of whack you will have to count the positions by the feel of the lever from left to right and back. Extreme sloppiness in the shifting can be caused by the shift mechanism coming loose inside the transmission--a relatively minor repair.

The second root cause of the symptoms you describe would be that the transmission has serious internal problems. Do pull out the transmission dipstick and see if the fluid has turned dark or has a noticable burnt smell.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 5:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ash
See User information
Brilliant, thankyou for the advice, ive just spoken to the seller again and he said it goes into Drive Right but will not move forward (Drive left is fine), he also says you need to hold the selector in park before going to reverse and 8 out of 10 times it will go in. I have not had any experience with this type of gearbox or Packards to be honest but just find the styling stunning and need to know if I can realistically repair it or will it need a new gearbox which may be difficult to source in the UK.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
A new gearbox is something I've never seen after 56 years in the Packard parts business, If they existed back then surely there are no more. Anything and everything is rebuildable and repairable and all parts are available fort he Ultramatic...oh I mean the Ultraumatic.

Ross knows more about them than anybody, buy the car with a good bargaining point and keep a stiff upper lip. Carry on.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 7:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ash
See User information
Hi

Thanks, yes when I said new I meant rebuilt or reconditioned sorry about that. I'm still talking to the seller about the car and negotiating on price based on the need for a gearbox repair. Am I right in thinking that using it in Drive Left (High) will be fine and not cause any other damage ?

Ashley

Posted on: 2016/9/1 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Some suggestions but as I haven't been rebuilding Ultramatics in 40 years I'll ask for Ross' confirmation/correction.

There is a band and actuator that controls Low range. It could be as simple as an external adjustment of the low band or non-functional low "brake" hydraulic actuator which is accessible after removing only the transmission pan.

If you buy it, suggest you purchase a factory service manual, extensively illustrated and an excellent diagnostic section

Posted on: 2016/9/1 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Fred is right, it could be as simple as an adjustment, but since those bands hardly wear (the ones in my pickup are close to 160,000 miles) I am leaning toward a broken band actuator pivot pin. Those I KNOW break.

To your question, yes you can drive the car in high with no problems but I would plan on disaster lurking around the bend if it has already had such a failure.

When you test drive the car, even in high range you should still feel one "shift" at anywhere between 20 and 50 mph. If you do not feel it, you have a further bargaining point in that direct drive is not engaging.

In any event, I can do you up a nice Ultramatic and ship it to you. I have plenty of cores.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 9:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ash
See User information
Fred / Ross thank you so much for your help today it is much appreciated and has given me more things to ask the seller. Ross if it turned out I needed a replacement gearbox what sort of cost am I looking at (just another bargaining point) feel free to email me at hearselover@hotmail.co.uk if you prefer to do that. Thank you so much for taking the time and helping me but I'm sure you can appreciate these things are rare in the UK and all the knowledge is on your side of the ocean.

Thanks again

Ashley

Posted on: 2016/9/1 11:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved