Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 226

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Spray-on sound deadener?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

onyerleft
See User information
On the '55 Clipper Super I'm restoring, it looks like there was a textured OEM finish underneath the carpet pad intended to deaden sound. Because the car spent time outside without good weatherstripping, water has gotten underneath it and rusted the floor. The finish is coming off in large chips.

I'm scraping off anything that's loose, but am unsure where to go from there.

1) Best to grind it all off and prime it, or leave what's still protecting the base metal?

2) Respray sound deadener, or replace with Dynamat or something similar?

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (32.05 KB)
137750_5824ff6215f02.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/11/10 18:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Spray-on sound deadener?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard used a combination of an asphalt based thick tarpaper like material and a spray on asphalt material with some fibers in the stuff which they called body deadening. Here is a 56 illustration showing the locations. 55 was the same.

In past. many have used the Dynamat or a similar rubber based sheeting. There is a relatively new spray on product called Lizardskin that seems to be getting good reviews. A water based combination of ceramic materials. One compound for sound and another for temperature.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.31 KB)
209_58250307ddd4c.jpg 1202X1236 px

Posted on: 2016/11/10 18:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

onyerleft
See User information
Thanks Howard, very helpful.

I think what will probably work best is a combination of LizardSkin (in hard to access areas), and pads elsewhere.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 18:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I used herculiner and coated the underside of the car, inside floor, and the doors etc. can get it at lowes in the truck section. Cheap... brush or roll it on. Has chunks of rubber in it.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 21:09
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I'm using "Boom Mat" in my Panther. Both a sound deadener and a thermal insulator. Pick your poison.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/11/10 22:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
When I did the floors on my 55 Clipper Super I cemented a good quality carpet pad to the new carpeting. This approximated the padding and carpeting originally used except with better materials. It worked well. The carpeting was a low pile indoor-outdoor type. I have also used an insulating material like is used to wrap water heaters on the floor of another car and then placed carpet over it. This worked well too. Here is a photo of the Clipper's new carpet with the carpet padding. I hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (39.66 KB)
565_58254abf0a212.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/11/10 23:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I would use rust converter first ..

Posted on: 2016/11/11 1:09
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Riki, good recommendation. I did as you suggested. There was a small amount of surface oxidation that I treated. Then afterwords, painted the entire floor board area.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/11/11 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

onyerleft
See User information
Riki, I'm not familiar with rust converter -

1) What kind of prep is involved?

2) Any particular brand you recommend?

Posted on: 2016/11/11 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
POR 15 is the most widely known and is available many places. Bill Hirsch has one he calls miracle paint. There are others. The paint coats and encapsulates the rust trapping it and preventing oxygen from reaching so no more rust forms.

You scrape or brush all the loose rust off and then spray or brush the stuff over the area. Follow the directions and don't get it on your skin. If you do get it on your hands use the proper solvent to get it off before it dries or it will stay there until it wears off.

It dries to a glossy and extremely hard finish but is not recommended for any place that has to be finish painted. Ordinary paint won't stick well over it. POR 15 at least has come out with a primer that can go over the stuff and adhere to some finish coats but the results are not like a 100 point paint job.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 15:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved