Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best type of headgasket for 1930
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Hi gents, Does anyone have an opinion as to what type of head gasket is best to use on a 385 ? Copper? Composite? MLS?

Also, any opinions on use of sealant? I have been advised NEVER to use sealant on MLS gaskets with silicone or viton bonded to the outer layers.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 14:30
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Best type of headgasket for 1930
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The standard OEM-type gasket, a copper/steel composite sandwich is the only way to go. Forget solid copper and polymeric or rubber types, failure rates are pretty high. If the mating surfaces are flat, true and smooth no sealant is needed. If you prefer, no disadvantage in using one of tbe copperized head gasket sealants.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 15:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perfect seal gasket paste is still available and wonder what the formulation differences might be over the years or between modern gasket cements and the Perfect Seal product Packard was suggesting back in the day. There are several head gasket related articles like this one issued thru the 30s and 40s mentioning coating both sides of the gasket with Perfect Seal or a comparable paste and also to apply the coating of the paste on the studs.

Attach file:

jpg  (140.14 KB)
209_59346daae43be.jpg 986X1300 px

Posted on: 2017/6/4 15:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Thanks for your replies.

O_D, who stocks steel/copper OEM-head gaskets? Kanter and Merritt don't specify in their catalogues what type their head gaskets are. Olson's says theirs is copper.

HH56, is the gasket paste called "Perfect Seal Gasket Maker Sealant #4?"

Posted on: 2017/6/4 20:51
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ive used quite a few of Kanter's gaskets, they are essentially an OEM duplicate. Also available from Egge. I'd assume Max's are as well. In fact I'm not aware of any source other than custom made for any other type of gasket.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 20:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
HH56, is the gasket paste called "Perfect Seal Gasket Maker Sealant #4?"

I think it may be but am not sure and is why I questioned if the formulations might have changed between then and now. The question is because Packard refers to it as a paste and the Perfect Seal description on the data sheet would lead me to believe it might be more liquid than what I would call a paste -- although it does have a fairly high solids content.

The list of places in the engine it is used as given on the Perfect Seal site sure looks like it fits the bill for everything and everywhere Packard suggested the mechanics apply the stuff.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 8.62 KB; Hits: 129

Posted on: 2017/6/4 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I highly recommend the Permatex copperized head gasket sealant in aerosol form - hang the gasket and spray both sides just prior to installation. Sure, other sealants will work but this is a gasket sealant made specifically for this purpose.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
Olsons Gaskets (360) 871-1207. Port Orchard WA. I have purchased and used NOS head gaskets from them. Reasonable and nice people.
Andy

Posted on: 2017/6/4 22:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved