Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

Flybiker18, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard plant brewery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Over the last 3 days I've seen 2 advertisements that the Packard plant is going to be turned into a Brewery. What say you RogerDetroit?

Posted on: 2017/12/16 13:16
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard plant brewery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Oh God please let this be true!! And please let them name the brand Packard or maybe a beer flavor with the name Packard!

Link to the ads?

Posted on: 2017/12/16 18:52
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

packardguy53 wrote:
Over the last 3 days I've seen 2 advertisements that the Packard plant is going to be turned into a Brewery. What say you RogerDetroit?

Nope, the brewery is NOT in a former Packard building. Clink on this link:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/12/13/new-brewery-opening-packard-plant/108587874/
Here is a quote: "A "Packard Plant Brewery coming soon" sign was posted to a building in the 1651 E. Grand Blvd., a smaller building included in the site, but down the street from the sprawling former plant."

Had also checked this with Jim Balfour, noted Packard historian. See the 1940s era Sanborn map attached and compare with the Google Earth map. Building #82 was constructed for the DR-980 diesel aircraft engine. Buildings #80 and #80A are gone.

The building at 1651 EGB is on the south side of the boulevard and west, halfway down the block from the Packard Plant.

Attach file:

jpg  (317.13 KB)
436_5a35fc2279b24.jpg 1275X1650 px

jpg  (203.76 KB)
436_5a35fc321ffcb.jpg 1423X714 px

Posted on: 2017/12/17 0:10
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
This site and area continues to morph-some up, but a lot of it very down. It is heartbreaking to see the roof damage and all the derelict buildings and vacant lots. Oddly, I can see that the new car drive-away transport building is still intact on Mt. Elliott. Amazing that this little building (the last erected in connection with Packard on this site) is still intact when everything around it is gone! At one time it had become a Baptist church with a crudely primitive hand-made sign in the window. And I see the old Farmer Jack/Food Fair market building that was built at the storage lot (this entire lot was where new Packards were parked and even stored-even after Conner Avenue opened) has now apparently tripled in size while everything around it has disappeared. The Packard Bar building is completely gone too.

I also notice that the intersection of Concord Avenue northbound is now blocked off with K-barriers and both old employee parking lots are now overgrown with weeds. This is amazing and sad to see. There was once a big traffic light here, busy even decades after Packard left. Day or night. Unbelievable to see it now totally barren of cars.

On the other side of Grand Blvd, I see that the old (actually new to me) A&P Supermarket building has amazingly survived! Hard to imagine. This was once the site of the massive Packard power plant and coal yard.

Farther north... do my old eyes deceive me or has part of the Stone Container Corp. building (converted from part of the Packard Plant) disappeared? Also the overpass for Harper Avenue that once led off of Mt. Elliott over I-94 appears now gone!!! AND... Mt. Elliott, Grand Blvd, Ford Expressway, and end of Harper Avenue ALL vacant of cars??? This would have been like a science-fiction nightmare movie in the 1950s and 1960s. An impossible photo. These were ALL very, very busy streets back in the day. Yet, here it is. I guess you had to be there back then to get a knot in your stomach and tear in your eye by looking at this photo today. This is all very surprising and sad to see!

Anyway, the building in question was one of those I never knew about as far as what went on there. The big vacant lot 2 addresses east on the same side next to the tracks was once part of the fuel depot for gasoline, oil, lubricants, etc. for Packard. Another lot adjacent to and west of the "brewery" building also once had something to do with fuel and had billboards there.

I'm left with only one word: wow.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thank you Leeedy for the stroll down memory lane(s) good memories for you.....I hope.
Regards
Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/17 11:40
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:

Farther north... do my old eyes deceive me or has part of the Stone Container Corp. building (converted from part of the Packard Plant) disappeared? Also the overpass for Harper Avenue that once led off of Mt. Elliott over I-94 appears now gone!!!

Hello Leeedy:
Blink again and take a look at a somewhat better image of the northern part of the site. I believe you'll see the Stone Container Corp. building is the same as you saw it at the 2013 PAC National meet when you gave your tour. Also, the overpass is still in place crossing north over I-94.

Attach file:

jpg  (226.37 KB)
436_5a36c2959e242.jpg 1280X926 px

Posted on: 2017/12/17 14:15
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:

Farther north... do my old eyes deceive me or has part of the Stone Container Corp. building (converted from part of the Packard Plant) disappeared? Also the overpass for Harper Avenue that once led off of Mt. Elliott over I-94 appears now gone!!!

Hello Leeedy:
Blink again and take a look at a somewhat better image of the northern part of the site. I believe you'll see the Stone Container Corp. building is the same as you saw it at the 2013 PAC National meet when you gave your tour. Also, the overpass is still in place crossing north over I-94.

Thanks much. Ahhhh... okay, my photo wasn't displaying that far north. I can see it now. BUT... something is still different with the intersection of Mt. Elliott and I-94 service road. Not like it used to be.

Also looks like at least one, possibly two gas stations have disappeared from the intersection of Mt. Elliott and East Grand Blvd. This was once a very, very busy intersection-day or night- and it is mind-boggling to see it empty now. If my dad was alive today he'd never believe this! All of the zillions of little businesses gone here and especially along Harper Avenue. And all those salaries gone too. Again, heartbreaking.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 14:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved