Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 65

humanpotatohybrid, Ken Lobsinger, Packard51, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

kanter brake kits
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
is there any way to put wheel cylinders from kantar kit on the wrong wheels?they do have different size bores where the lines go n..just wondering if anyone has had any issues...also I used copper washers from old rubber lines in front..none came in the kit..ideas?

Posted on: 2018/2/6 9:10
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Re: kanter brake kits
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used their 47 kit and as I recall the cylinders will bolt up front or rear or side to side so that part is the same size and you need to double check the other factors. Since rears typically have smaller diameter pistons that is about the only way to determine which one goes front or rear. The angle or direction the inlet port is placed on the cylinder for the hose or line connection determines side to side.

I totally agree about the copper washers and had the same experience. When one buys a kit -- particularly one that advertises as being a complete kit which includes new cylinders and hoses, the lack of $1 worth of copper washers is very annoying. I had the issue on the 47 kit and had to chase around town trying to find copper washers for the master cylinder connection. It took visits to several stores to find two washers in the odd sizes needed. I can only imagine the frustration if you are in a location without a lot of parts resources.

I remember bringing it up on the forum and I think someone else chimed in too so there should be a few posts on the subject. I don't remember Kanters exact response and reason they did not include them in kits. Believe it had something to do with reusing the old connecting block which was not part of the kit so they were not included. Do remember an offer to phone them and they would stick a couple in the mail but that was a bit late in my case.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 10:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
yea i hadd a few issues...had to reroute rear driver brake line,,original faced fwd this one was aft or it was fwd on passenger side with line being aft...decided drivers side was easier to re route being shorter.now..im still getting half pedal after numerous bleeding and re adjust attempts..

Posted on: 2018/2/6 11:09
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
and new rubber hoses only went into two cylinders...bores for lines were deeper on the front ones,,not sure why one bore was opposite direction..mayb someone rerouted a line on the back at one time..it looked original tho

Posted on: 2018/2/6 11:12
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
What I run into is either buy repro, have none, or more costly and iffy rebuilts/used when OEM no longer.
So as much as we hate/chastise the repro guys, without them we may not have parts at all. Only going to get tighter down the line.
Burn up the phone line, not the forums, if you're not satisfied. I see this going on all over, they all take it on line, everyone chimes in, and nothing happens. Why? It's easy.
I have a whole tray of new Cu washers from back in the day, so
like the boyscouts, be prepared...

Posted on: 2018/2/6 11:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I'm not bashing the kits...a little more authentic would be nice and made in usa.i appreciate being able to get parts for my car..all the other stuff is spot on and high quality.this is my first time on Packard brakes so some could be user error.and there is two different methods of adjustment depending on which manual u use.both are similar in nature tho.overall happy with parts and service is great!

Posted on: 2018/2/6 11:40
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Here is the brake down of the wheel cylinder locations. Each wheel cylinders should have been boxed our bagged with a part number

Left Front: PAC 302948/13368
Right Front: PAC 302949/13369
Left Rear: PAC 302950/4801
Right Rear: PAC 302951/4802

If you ever have question part installation or orientation. Please either contact me through PM here or call our Packard department. We are here to help.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2018/2/6 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....two different methods of adjustment

Depending on year and model, but generally - NOT two methods, two different adjustments. The little star wheel for minor adjustment, and the eccentric anchor pin which should be adjusted each time shoes are changed to insure shoes are properly centralized.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 12:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
true but they have different measurements as well.one says .010 as final check one says .015.and different procedure to do it,,thanks again

Posted on: 2018/2/6 12:33
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I think my whole situation is a mix up by me in part numbers...do the 4801 and 4802 have big bores for rubber front lines or small bores for steel line fittings..if I knew that I think I could c where I made my error...the arge bore cylinders are on the front right now because the new hoses screwed all the way in and I used old copper washer..looked right and have no leaks.if someone could verify bore sizes and locations I think ill be goo..thank u for all youre help..Dan

Posted on: 2018/2/6 12:45
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved