Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

HELP PLEASE ON GAS TANK REMOVAL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
I have everything loose and moving but the fill neck is killing me is there a trick or ideas on how to get it turned so i can drop the tanki have loosened the inner fender well with no help..... Kind of at a lose as what to do.

Posted on: 2020/1/30 12:46

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: HELP PLEASE ON GAS TANK REMOVAL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I siphoned as much gas out of the tank as possible and then drained the rest into a pot from the fuel line connecting hose. If it runs down your sleeve it's not going to kill you.

I jacked up the car with a floor jack as high as my jack stands would allow.

I put a board on a floor jack under the tank to support it and then removed the straps holding the tank. You just have to loosen them and unhook them from the mounts.

I disconnected the fuel tank sending unit wire (the connection joint was near the left rear tire).

I loosened the clamps on the rubber connecting pipe between the exterior filler pipe (with the gas cap) and the filler pipe on the tank itself, and pushed it up on the exterior filler pipe.

I lowered the floor jack and then removed the jack to give the tank the most free movement. I wiggled and turned the tank until it dropped from whatever was holding it up in the filler pipe area.

Posted on: 2020/1/30 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Pat,
Joe's advice is complete and spot-on. The hose stub attachment on the tank is quite short so once you have the rubber hose disconnected, it should 'feed' out quite easily. If the tube of the rubber hose has become 'stuck' on the tank bib, sometimes a pipe wrench and a rag or piece of cardboard over the outside of the hose to protect the outer cover, can 'break' the seal. Easy does it though as the tank metal may be thin and a bit fragile. Once you get it lowered enough to get at the top of the unit, you can disconnect the sender wire and get the tank out from underneath the car. IIRC mine also had an extra ground wire from one of the screws on the sender unit to the frame. Good luck. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/30 15:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well i would have too say my tank isnt stock then. The filler pipe isnt 2 pieces its one solid piece. Now i wonder what tank i have????

It fit well straps lined up on the tank........ Thats weird

Posted on: 2020/1/30 17:20

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I did finally get it out but with the solid 1 piece filler it was a biatch!!!

Posted on: 2020/1/30 17:21

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Pat, If I was you, I'd consider cutting it and inserting a rubber connector in the middle. You can clamp the fillerneck end tightly beforehand and then when you reinstall the tank, just insert the tank stub, turn the rest of the neck until it leads fair to the fender outlet and tighten down. 'Make life a heck of a lot easier. Just make sure the rubber connector is nitrile or neoprene, so you don't end up with any kind of nasties in your fuel later. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/30 17:39
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Your not kidding ill look for some gas safe hose to do it with!!!!

Posted on: 2020/1/30 17:46

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The filler neck on the 41 does indeed have a rather contorted neck that slipped by the control check between design engineers and the poor slobs who have to R&R these tanks...and yes, 41/2 unique neck, so...one can speculate.

I've seen many with a cut and splice with a hose....

Posted on: 2020/1/30 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Oh so it may be original!?!?!?! The sender and the fuel line looked like they where undisturbed or original. Im thinking ill take Newbies idea and cut it.....and make a access up top in the trunk as well

Posted on: 2020/1/30 22:24

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Excellent on both actions. Here's what the tank filler spout looks like on a '40 Super 8. If you do a search for '41 gas tank, there may be a pic of one that was for sale, but it was for a '41 180.

Attach file:

jpg  (285.04 KB)
1067_5e33c892a2096.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/1/31 1:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved