Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Horn Button removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Okay, this should be pretty straightforward. I need to remove the horn button but I can tell whoever installed it last didn't do so correctly. I can make out what appears to be a rubber ring but it's curled partly inside the horn ring and partly exposed from it. The button is cocked a little.

The problem is when I try to pry the button out it's on the verge of what feels like could break it, yet it won't budge. Any tips on how to remove it intact? It's in nice shape and I don't want to ruin it.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 18:08
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Horn Button removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the rubber "O" ring provides the friction that holds the emblem in place. You should be able to use something like the edge of a plasticware picnic knife to get the separation started.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 18:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The emblem is normally held only by friction provided by the O ring. While it is snug it usually will come out with some gentle tugging. HOWEVER, there is a dense foam rubber block for a cushion under the emblem. There should be a piece of a wax like paper between the cushion and emblem but if the emblem was off and the paper was left out at some point then if the old rubber has deteriorated and turned soft it is almost like melted rubber and a very good glue.

If that has happened there is not much you can do except use something soft like a stiff wood or plastic object under the emblem and try to GENTLY pry it loose at a few spots. Wider objects will spread the load over more surface and minimize chances of a piece of the emblem edge chipping off but there are no guarantees.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 18:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I've been running a stiff metal putty knife around under it and prying hard to where the lip is likely to break off and it's not budging in the slightest.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 18:40
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would find something other than the putty knife. As to something else to try, I hate to suggest this because I don't know if it has ever been done before. It is the least likely to cause problems that I can think of though.

See if you can get the end of an application tube from a spray can of WD-40 at a few spots in the crack and give it a couple of liberal squirts. Use a rag wrapped around the area to try and keep it from spraying all over the place or dripping on the upholstery. Maybe do this a couple of times over a few hours and then try the gentle prying. WD-40 is often used to soften adhesives on painted surfaces so it is very gentle and should not affect paint or even the plastic emblem like other solvents can. If you wanted you could try it in a hidden spot on the steering column just to make sure there is no paint damage.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
See if you can get the end of an application tube from a spray can of WD-40 at a few spots in the crack and give it a couple of liberal squirts. Use a rag wrapped around the area to try and keep it from spraying all over the place or dripping on the upholstery. Maybe do this a couple of times over a few hours and then try the gentle prying. WD-40 is often used to soften adhesives on painted surfaces so it is very gentle and should not affect paint or even the plastic emblem like other solvents can. If you wanted you could try it in a hidden spot on the steering column just to make sure there is no paint damage.

I tried silicone spray with the tube/straw but that didn't seem to help. I'll keep working at it.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 19:07
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Found my set of trim removal tools which are a very hard plastic and was able to use them as wedges to break it free without breaking off a lip.

The O-ring was only partially in the groove and the horn button must have been forced in. Consequently the O-ring was deformed.

After removal of the wheel I was able to lubricate the upper steering shaft bearing, which was my goal. It had high stiction which made driving it annoying as you couldn't use gentle pressure to keep the car in a straight line, but it would break free in opposing directions leading to erratic driving.

I had to use the tool to work the deformed O-ring into the groove along with a light film of silicone grease as the button went in to get it seated properly but mission accomplished.

Thanks for the help. I've had the '48-'50's apart many times (the button is a press and turn) but never before the '55-'56 so wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Posted on: 2021/6/7 20:13
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved